Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanny_gw

Manhandeling a Japanese Maple

Suzanny
11 years ago

My sister was moving from Michigan to Wisconsin, and at the last minute we decided to dig out her Japanese Maple and bring it back to Wisconsin with us. We really did not take any precautions, and neither of us know very much about JM. Ive since read that you have to be EXTREMELY careful not to disrupt the root ball, dont bang it around, dont drop it in the new hole, etc... To be honest, this little guy did not get the royal treatment. It was dug up, as best we could (it was amongst blanket juniper so it was difficult to dig up), put very uncerimoniously into a bucket, transported across the states in the back of an enclosed snowmobile trailer, and is now in that same bucket (2 days later) waiting for me to take care of it. I wont be able to plant it where I want to, until next spring. I planned on planting it in a pot and overwintering it indoors and then transplanting into my yard next spring. But from what I read, it sounds like it's already doomed because of it's "traumatic" travels. Does it still stand a chance?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County