Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing a Pecan with a Red Maple advice needed

Posted by Pamela2955 Ca (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 22:32

I am considering replacing a large pecan tree with a Red Maple. I have read that pecans contain juglones or toxins. Will my new Maple thrive in the same spot as the pecan? (I am having the stump ground out) I appreciate any advice out there. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing a Pecan with a Red Maple advice needed

How large a pecan are we talking about?

The first issue will probably be dealing with the stump grindings if you must go in the exact same space. I got away with a fu fu japanese maple about six feet from a good size ash I had ground out. It is still really terrible feeling soil and I hear the rotting wood robs nitrogen from the soil or something.

Digging out all the wood infested soil leaves you with this hole to fill and it is difficult to get the drainage right and do that without sinking or something.

Good luck.

o

Pecans tend to have significantly lower levels of juglone than say black walnuts. Regardless, red maples are resistant to the allelopathic effects of juglone. I think just grinding out the stump is fine without having to go through the issues of removing the grindings and bringing in fresh soils, settling, etc.

Ideally, I'd wait at least a few weeks before planting to allow any settling to occur. My actual preference would be to give it the winter before planting. By that time rain and weather would have taken care of most of the soil settling issues and the effect of any nitrogen tie-up minimal. Wood material (like grindings, bark, sawdust) mixed into soil will tie up nitrogen availability but this is easily remedied by the application of a high nitrogen fertilizer like blood or alfalfa meal.

o

Thank you very much for your advice Tornado and Gardengal. I was in a rush to "fill the hole" but I think I will wait the winter. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here