Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade canopy Maples with reliable color?

Posted by sujiwan 6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 22:56

I realize that the mechanics of climactic conditions have a great deal to do with vibrancy of color. However, I am wondering if there are any canopy cultivars ( of rubrum or freemanii) that reliably put on a good show even while other trees have the disappointing color "Blahs"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade canopy Maples with reliable color?

'October Glory' and 'Autumn Blaze' are traditionally utilized when reliable fall color is desired. They are frequently planted as street trees in my area and typically produce stunning coloring.

o

adding to what Gardengal posted, my observations and experience with the Freemanii cultivars prompt me to say they all have excellent fall color as well as neat, clean, bright green summer foliage. There are however, issues in some areas with Autumn Blaze having bark splitting tendencies after they've been in the ground a number of years.

Marshall

o

Over my expericence I recommend autumn blaze or October glory, I have a 30 foot autumn blaze in my backyard and it has stunning bright crimson in the fall and in the summer bright, reliable, and soft green foliage. I would not however recommend red sunset which is very commonly grown as a shade tree rather than a fall color tree.

o

I have a beautiful 'Red Sunset' that definitely puts on a show with it's red/orange colors. I love it.

Pacific Sunset, October Glory, Brandywine, Somerset, Autumn Glory, and the Paperbark maples are take my breath away with their beautiful colors. I wish my yard photoed as beautifully as these trees actually are.

Then we can talk about the red Japanese Maples!

Oh - my October Glory is about 10 years old. It's definitely splitting, but so are a lot of my trees. I thought it was normal. Doesn't seem to impede their growth or anything!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here