Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my Maple Tree (pics)

Posted by huisman98 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 2, 08 at 23:00

I'm in Raleigh, NC. I moved into my house two years ago. The maple tree pictured below was already planted in the yard. I feel like the foliage is not a "thick" as it was two years ago. I also noticed a few dead looking branches with little or no leaves. In general this tree looks kind of sick to me. Any ideas on what is wrong and what I can do about it. I have tried to remove the soil from around the trunk to expose the root flare, but it seems like there are a lot of fiberous roots all voer the surface and I fear I will do more harm than good trying to remove the soil. We have hard red clay here in NC. However, I know it is bad to have the trunk buried like this. I know this could be the issue. If so what can I do about it. Could the sick look of the tree be due to another reason?

Thanks for the help! I really don't want to lose this tree!

Picture of thinning looking maple tree
Photobucket

Close-up of some bare and dead looking branches
Photobucket

Close-up of trunk (How do I safely expose the root flare?)
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my Maple Tree (pics)

The planting looks perfect. Keep the mulch, it was planted both correctly and the mulch is an asset in many ways.

It looks to me like your best bet would be to remove any branches that are dead and move on, literally. I'm not being loud to you but rather the opposite.

Great tree,

Dax

o

There does not seem to be anything wrong with that tree, I think it may look thinner because it is growing taller and spreading out.
All of my trees have limbs that die, why I have no idea but most plants do have some stunted growth.
Enjoy.
diene

o

ditto. Sometimes climate or flowering cycles can play a role I figure. Seems in the years my ash trees seed heavily they leaf out a little less. Also some years trees grow less because of climate issues we can't do anything about.

I'd love to have that tree in my yard though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here