Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are maple leaves toxic to rabbits?

Posted by maggie_j z5 Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 23:23

Does anyone know if maple leaves are safe for rabbits?

Many people are returning to natural feed for their domestic rabbits and some discussion has arisen on the Farm Life forum and other forums about the safely of maple leaves. It has always been my understanding that Sugar Maple and Silver Maple are safe for rabbits, but I thought perhaps someone on this forum might have some authoritative information on the subject.

I've heard scary things about Red Maple, but can't find any toxicity information on other acer species. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are maple leaves toxic to rabbits?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 14:04

That's a good question to ask your vet.

o

You got to be kidding--I have many- ok at least ten maples on my 1/2 acre lot and enough rabbits to -- plenty of rabbits. babys and all. I only wish this were true!!

o

Thanks for the replies.

Jean, asking the vet a question means an office visit... and most know very little about rabbits anyway. It would be a waste of time and money.

Robin, just because a plant is common does not mean the wild rabbits are eating it. There are many, many poisonous plants around and wild and free range animals rarely get poisoned. Rabbits raised in cages are much more likely to eat anything green they are given. Hence our concerns.

I think maple leaves and twigs are okay for rabbits, but until I have more information I will continue to use them with caution.

o

Twenty minutes of Googling both Acer rubrum and maples in general turned up references to toxic effects to horses only, resulting in the breakdown of red blood cells and acute hemolytic anemia. Hemolytic anemia can occur in many animals but it is usually genetic or pharmaceutically induced.

I've included a link that addresses plants toxic to rabbits that may be helpful but I'd have to wonder at the advisability of feeding house or caged rabbits just any type of organic material because it's there and available. My own vet has been rather specific over the years as to exactly what type of vegetable matter should be provided domesticated rabbits as the wrong stuff can create digestive and urinary issues, not to mention allowing for vitamin and or mineral deficiencies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants toxic to rabbits

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here