Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burystone1

Sick Maple

burystone1
9 years ago

Hi Guys, First can I apologise in advance if I have the wrong forum. I have just moved to a new home (2 months now) with a nice garden and I intend to do my utmost to keep it that way. I have spent some spare time in the past few months identifying and researching the care of the plants I have inherited. One of my new charges appears to be a small Japanese maple. As far as I remember, it was pretty healthy when I bought the property, but is now beginning to show bald spots and what appears to be small dead bleached branches. What have I done wrong and what can I do to save this beautiful tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick Maple Photos

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Impossible to tell exactly what's going on by remote but I'd suspect some sort of water issue. What's your summer been like and how did this little tree get watered?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

dead is dead.. sip out the dead branches ... prune properly ... ask in the tree forum if you dont get an answer here ... i dont know how active this forum is ... the key is to leave branch stubs ... see link

i dont really care about leaves turning weird colors in fall ... heck.. 1/3 of the trees in SE MI are showing signs of coloring ... not much to do.. to save leaves that will fall off inside a few weeks ... not even worry ...

i suspect a large window to the left ... perhaps it was spray clened.. or someone scraped by the plant ... in other words superfiscial chem damage ...

all that said.. it was a horrible winter last year... i had a lot of small branch death on my few JMs ... seems coincidental that all the damage MIGHT be on the part that wasnt snow covered ... eh?? .. any way to support that theory ???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Don't prune anything yet! Japanese maples often lose foliage during the summer months as a result of drought stress and come back just fine in the following season. If you see no sign of life on those branches next year when the tree should be leafing out, then you can remove any dead wood.

Ands even if Ken is correct about some chemical damage - JM's can be very sensitive with regards to substances on their foliage - that does not necessarily mean the affected portions are dead.

In short, it's just soon to be removing branches willy-nilly without knowing more precisely what's going on. Let us know about your watering routine......

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

at the very tip of a grey branch.. just try to snap it...

if its dead.. and dry ... grey ... it will snap right of ...

if its just leafless ... it will have integrity and bend.. not snap ...

if its dead.. its dead .. there is no cambian layer under the grey bark ..

if dead.. with good pruners.. just keep cutting back.. one inch at a time... until you see the green cambian layer ... then you know you are in live wood ..

at that point ... you then look to see... where the last ... PROPER ... cut should be made ...

or you wait until spring.. and do the same.. on any parts that dont leaf out like the rest of the plant .... there really isnt any hurry on tree pruning ... most of the time .... especially on a short plant like yours ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: seeing the cambian thru pruning is an offshoot of the scratch test ....

• burystone1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks for the help guys. As to the watering, it's been a wetter summer than most in Waterloo Ontario so no extra watering done really. The ground in this garden is well drained so no waterlogging that I am aware of. I trimmed off the white top branches today which were dry and brittle. Found a cluster of what appear to be insect eggs or fungus at one of the "armpits" on dry wood. They were bright orange in colour, adhered to the wood and about the size of small cookie crumbs. May not be a smoking gun though. All the dead material is trimmed back to the live wood now so I'll monitor to see if the die back is halted. Thanks

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm