Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this Maple

Posted by ejpinto IL (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 23:48

Hi, this maple started growing in a pot on my deck 2 years ago. It' grew from under a foot last year to over 5 ft this year after I transplanted it to larger pot. I'd like to identify it, but need some help. Please let me know your thoughts on the variety?

And should I bring it inside for the winter? I didn't last year, but we also had an exceptionally mild Chicago winter last year and I want it to flourish.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
image attached this time!

Here's an image that I forgot to include with the first message.

o
RE: Name this Maple

Looks like a silver maple, Acer saccharinum. Although perfectly hardy planted outdoors in your area, much less cold tolerant if left in that container. You want to keep the plant properly cold and in dormancy but not allow the container and soil to freeze. Someplace like an unheated attached garage? Temps need to stay above 30F but below around 40F.

o

Sorry to be an opinionated a@%, but it does appear to be a silver maple. This means it is best planted in a garbage pile. They are messy, weak wooded, have unreliable variable fall color. I would suggest a silver maple/red maple hybrid such as "Autumn Blaze" or "Marmo" over a seedling silver maple any day. You can buy one 2-3 times that big at home depot,etc. for probably $8-15. They are not horrible trees in native environment, but there are WAY TOO MANY better maples to choose from for the suburban/urban landscape. If it was already 50 feet tall, I could see keeping it. But at that size start with a better tree.

o
Maple needs serious help

I believe this is a Florida Maple tree. It is 1 of 2 trees that were in my front yard when I bought my house 11 years ago. The other one died and was removed about 3 years ago. Now this one is doing the same thing. I am a horrible gardener but, I really don't want to loose another tree. What is wrong and how can I correct the problem?

o

Hi,

I have a maple just like this in my backyard, a big old 40 year old tree. It is a silver maple (Acer saccharinum).

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 13:15

If by "wrong" you mean the silver patches on the trunk that would just be lichens, which are common, normal and harmless.

o

it is silver, and do not throw it away i like them, and have a 60+year old one in my backyard, that has not hda any major damage, a few good size branches may have fallen, but not that bad. they can get 100+ ft like mine, and give lots of shade which is very nice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here