Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Japanese maple questions

Posted by calvin_orchidlover 6a Toronto (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 0:03

Hi all,
New to these forums. I have a bloodgood for the second season now in full sun, and it has definitely gotten bigger and more robust. However, the leaves at the top most branches (the ones stretching upwards) seem small and distorted with dried brown edges, despite the fact that the rest of the leaves are normal. Actually the points of the rest of the leaves have also been turning brownish. Is this because it's autumn? I think I saw this during the summer as well...a lack of water?

My second question is, I saw a beautiful Japanese maple outside someone's house the other day. It's green in the summer, and turns a beautiful orange-red in the fall. In fact, some of the leaves actually almost look salmon pink! I was wondering whether anyone has experience with a cultivar that sounds like this, or can recommend any that have that lighter salmony pink color. I'm not too interested in the ones with leaves too lacy...but something like the ones in this picture would be lovely!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Japanese maple questions

Hey Calvin,
The condition of your "Bloodgood" sounds like Autumn. Full sun and a bit of wind will brown the tips of most Japanese maples. Maintaining even soil moisture level helps as does very mild fertilization.

Check out the UBC site for pics of various cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: UBC maple photo Gallery

o
RE: More Japanese maple questions

Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to check it out

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here