Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Maple fall color(post your pics too please!)

Started a similar thread in the conifer forum because from what I have seen, conifer lovers are often Japanese maple lovers and visa-versa. You're certainly welcome to post of that thread if you like or share some images here as well.

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn color(and conifers!)

Comments (28)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I took this photo yesterday. I grew this from seed collected off of the cultivar "Butterfly" in 2007. My seeds came from a maple collector so there's a lot of pollination, occurring.

Acer x Acer palmatum Butterfly seedling:

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Here's a closer look.

Acer x Acer palmatum "Butterfly" seedling:

Dax

• houzi
    13 years ago

Hi,a forum virgin here.Just a little group of babies(yuch! sounds horrible)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Which shirasawanum do you show us houzi and what is the bright gold yellow leaf and yellow twigs?

Unknown Acer palmatum seedling from good seed source:

Dax

• houzi
    13 years ago

Hi Dax,been reading your advice for ages.Interestingly shaped seedling there,makes me think of Sycamore vaguely.Oh it's 'Aureum' which I've found can be almost as colourful in summer with a little sun.....and that new one 'Bi Hoo',unavailable in UK until July,and even now only 2web results...will really add contrast.

• rmac78
    13 years ago

Aconitifolium

• botann
    13 years ago

Green Laceleaf with filigree leaves showing Fall color.

{{gwi:1048967}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Splendid colors, folks!
    I wish I had something other than the ordinary, but hopefully these won't be too bad.....
    Will, I agree...maples and conifers go hand in hand!

Seedling with trident leaves, collected from a friend's yard last July.

Josh

• botann
    13 years ago

Mac, that's some very good color on that 'Aconitifolium'. Mine didn't do so well this Fall. See below.
    {{gwi:1048971}}.
    That's a Dawn Redwood in the background. It hasn't even started to turn color yet. Gold Hinoki on the right.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A handful of shots I took today.

-Will

13 years ago

Here's a shot I took the other day....

{{gwi:43165}}

Josh

• deep___roots
    13 years ago

Very cool. I haven't been by this forum in a while. I've got a couple of snaps. First up, my little dawn redwood. Then my Ukigumo (floating clouds) with a Sherwood Flame down low a little past its prime flamage. Enjoy!
    {{gwi:562904}}
    {{gwi:562902}}

• botann
    13 years ago

here's a Japanese Maple down by a small cabin I built down by a pond in my garden.
    {{gwi:1048976}}
    We even had some fog one morning.
    {{gwi:778418}}

13 years ago

Mike,
    I set that last image as my desktop background....
    Excellent! It's a bit foggy here, too.

Josh

• cosmikcat
    13 years ago

A couple of artsy pictures of the Abigail Rose in my front yard. I've only had it a year and a half. Last fall it turned a dark purplish red color. This year it had some really wacky new growth (it has a Dr. Seuss vibe.) The old growth turned back to the salmony-pink color it gets in the spring but the new growth turned purple-red. Its really crazy looking right now.

>

• brpinson
    13 years ago

We have a very warm, dry fall here and i thought the maples wouldn't be much too look at, but this week they have all turned color...just in time for Thanksgiving!!

• botann
    13 years ago

Winter has arrived rather suddenly here and caught this Japanese maple with it's leaves still on.
    {{gwi:63882}}

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Cool pic with the sun glaring in...in fact alot of nice pics by everyone!

Wish I had a more moderate climate so I could enjoy a longer season.

Trees have been bare here for weeks now...almost a month!

13 years ago

Great pic, Mike.

Josh

• GAAlan
    13 years ago

Some really great maples and pictures here. I have a young A. palmatum 'Glowing Embers' that has lived up to its name this fall. Deep red throughout, which is a wonderful combo with a very large yellow dominated red maple and Leyland cypress nearby.

• User
    13 years ago

{{gwi:1048982}}

Took pics at Hopeland Gardens in Aiken Sc recently.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

Morning sun hitting it... Acer truncatum 'Fire Dragon'

Afternoon sun hitting them from behind... front tree is 'Fire Dragon' and the yellow one in the back is a regular Acer truncatum. Almost as bright yellow as Ginkgo.

{{gwi:121466}}

• rmac78
    13 years ago

More pictures of my Aconitifolium

• ltruett
    13 years ago

Shantung maple "Fire Dragon"

A few days past the peak. It has been windy/hot/dry so a lot of leaves have been blown off.

• Karen Mickleson
    13 years ago

Dang. Found this thread while researching maples in a retooling of a rose garden. The beauty is breathtaking, BUT, none of you guys/gals LABELED your trees! I can't say, 'Oooh, that's the one I want to investigate further!' Wish there was a way to go back and revise with titles.

Sometimes I wonder if Garden Web forum members (of which I'm one) realize how often their remarkably useful threads come up for those of us planning and researching new and changing gardens ;~)

Karen

• botann
    13 years ago

The majority of my maples were grown from seed, hence no varietal names. :-(
    Mike

{{gwi:1048987}}

• houzi
    13 years ago

Beautiful scene Mike.You know I'm constantly amazed at the size of some people's gardens on these forums.In UK the average garden would probably only have room for one big tree,and that may upset the neighbours ha ha.Can you spot a bit of jealousy here? :)

• botann
    13 years ago

We have just been recently settled in relation to the time scale in the UK. Washington State became a state in 1889.
    In our new subdivisions the lots are getting smaller and smaller. I'm very lucky to have 10 acres.
    I've been to the UK and loved it.
    Here's another Fall picture.
    Mike

{{gwi:1048988}}

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012