Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Maple with yellowed, spotted leaves

Posted by cara5610 9, NW Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 9:05

Does anyone know what is wrong with my tree? The leaves on my young October Glory red maple are turning yellow and have small, black spots on them. At first, I thought it was a problem with drought/not enough water. But the spots concerned me. Is it some kind of disease or pest problem?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Maple with yellowed, spotted leaves

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 15:37

Look up maple tar spot to see if it might be that. It could also be something else, of course.

The poor fall color would be due to conditions the tree has experienced this season, perhaps next year it will do better - this introduction is known for coloring well despite unsuitable conditions.

I bought a 'Red Rage' nyssa this fall. It is still in the pot and got dried out a couple times since I bought it, causing it to droop (but not shrivel or burn). The leaves turned yellow and gradually fell off, from the bottom up.

I went back to the nursery and the rest of the 'Red Rage' still there are still in leaf, with a few of them starting to turn red. So apparently the drying out caused mine to behave out-of-character this time. Presumably next year, after having been in the ground for months it will turn red, later in the season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here