Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pattern of destruction in Northeast?

Posted by jackie_o zone 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 9:34

I posted a thread about peeling bark on my Japanese Maple. I've been looking through old posts for similar problems and how they handled it and have found several posts from Michigan (I'm in Ohio)that seemed to have the same problem. Is there some pest attacking Japanese Maples in this area of the country?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pattern of destruction in Northeast?

Most likely what is being reported are the effects of last spring's late freeze. This was particularly damaging to Japanese maples across a large part of the Northeast, as the trees were just emerging from dormancy when the freeze hit.

Because they have rather thin bark, Japanese maples can easily suffer from bark scald or freeze/thaw effects and in colder climates, it may be prudent to take precautions for this. The bark is also appealing to squirrels, who strip it to use for nesting material. This is a pretty common occurrence here in late spring.

Once the bark is split, there is little you can do to correct it. If the tree is otherwise healthy, it will compartmentalize the damage and scar over.

o
RE: Pattern of destruction in Northeast?

Thanks for responding gardengal. I'm hoping it'll be alright. I'm just worried that when the freeze/thaw starts again this winter and I've got that weakened area, I don't want it to break off right there at the graft.

I sure wish there was something I could do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here