Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple bark peeling

Posted by Eugene10 PA. (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 9:39

Hi all,
Have this japanese maple (love it) at my house. Noticing the bark coming off. Wonding if I should worry?

thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple bark peeling

Yes. That is not a good sign. The occluded branch growth, the tight crotch and the weeping canker all spell some sort of rot occurring. How unhealthy and unsafe the tree actually may be difficult to tell from just photos. Suggest you hire a certified arborist to come out and look at the tree, diagnose problem fully and make suggestions. Removal is a distinct possibility.

Do not just ignore. It could become a liability.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 9:10

I agree with GardenGal. In addition to what she said, there's bugs eating the tree. Notice the fresh sawdust.
I'd enjoy the Fall color and then cut it down.
Mike

o

Mike, I think the sawdust is the result of the removal of that occluded branch going off through the middle - the cut looks fresh :-)) Nevertheless, this tree is not in good shape........sorry.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 8:34

Yes, Pam, I see it now as a fresh cut. I wondered where that branch went. Duh.
Thanks.
Mike

o

thanks for your help....I love the tree and it anchors the corner of my house. I will try to post the results when the arborist gets in.

o

That extra smaller branch looks like a trouble maker. I can imagine myself out there with a dremel tool trying to remove it and clean uo any loose bark.

Good news is this is a Japanese maple and if it fails they are not typically large enough to create an insurance claim! My bet is the arborists tries to clean up that rotted area and see if the tree has enough vigor to encapsulate it. I think I see the bark regrowing further down in the photo. If he suggests any type of sealer I would be curious as to what it is. My understanding is that stuff is more hopes and dreams than science even if it obviously would benefit from a cure rot cure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here