Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kallinan_gw

Upright Red Japanese Maple Suggestions

kallinan
13 years ago

Hello! My wife and I intend to plant a Japanese Maple tree in our yard this year, and I was hoping to find some suggestions on cultivars. Below are our criteria in order of priority:

1. Upright! The taller the better, we want a plant that will mature into a tree.

2. Red. To contrast with our oaks & norway maples, we would like a cultivar with red leaves. However, we'd like to avoid dark crimson.

With those three criteria in mind, can anyone recommend some cultivars for us? We live in the 6b Hardiness Zone.

So far I've only found "Bloodgood" and "Fireglow." Both are intriguing. I really am drawn to Bloodgood's height, but I'm a bit concerned that it could be a deep purple for most of the year. Also, there seems to be a wide variety of Bloodgood trees in the area - some appear to be deep purple, while some appear to have green leaves with red tones on the edges. Is this natural variation, or due to sunlight? Or is the cultivar just a bit watered down? Fireglow has a really nice red color in summer, but I was discouraged by its 12-16 ft projected height.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone