Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root pruning and repotting

Posted by cajunj (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 12, 08 at 11:30

My Crimson Queen has been in a very large pot for some years now and has done very well, but I need to root prune and add soil as it is obviously root bound and the soil level is very low. I thought the disruption would be best in the fall, but I've read old posts and googled that indicated spring would be best. In northwest LA our winters are very mild and our springs can be very warm. When would be the best time for me to freshen up its home with the least trauma?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root pruning and repotting

Cajun,

In an area with mild winter, fall pruning can be very effective. If your soil stays above around 40F for a while your roots should be making some growth. This will pay off in the spring.

Also use the online resources to learn about best practices for root pruning and soil mixes.

Post a pic of ytour tree?

o

I've just taught myself how to post a picture. Hopefully, this will work.Crimson Queen

o

Great looking plant. Is that a recent photo? Looks like summer there.

o

Thanks for the compliment and yes, that picture was taken on Sunday, the day I posted it. Is it summer--my goodness summer never seems to end in this neck of the woods. I recently ordered a few small maples and am watching them, but they aren't doing as well as the large Crimson Queen. Of course we had some very windy days (Gustav and Ike blew through here recently) and made a horrible mess with blown down limbs, etc. I am so in love with these plants and know that I'm pushing my luck and pocket trying to have them in this climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here