Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee80903

sansation maple tree

lee80903
10 years ago

Should the sansation maple tree supposed to be red instead of light pinkish red got the tree in july 2013

Comments (7)

• lee80903
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of tree is different when u look at it from street it is a light pinkish red

• lee80903
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of tree is different when u look at it from street it is a light pinkish red

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Is this Acer negundo Sensation?

The fall color is about right...perhaps more yellow than red. Fall color will always vary slightly from year to year.

Your tree has a nice shape.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Tended to be orange here also. One year it had tar spot, which meant it really didn't have anything to offer as it is primarily a foliage tree. I'm speaking in the past tense as I have since cut it down.

Although claimed to be more compact the reason it got selected originally was entirely because of the fall color being noticed along a roadside, where the parent seedling had been growing. There are two examples I have seen in my area of trees too old to be this same clone that otherwise look like it, there apparently having been an earlier introduction of a similar variant. Both appear to be top-grafted trees with the trunks having been allowed to form their own large branches many years ago; the two different forms are more or less clearly discernible, the parts with the orange leaves having a little less vigor, as though there is a genetic connection between the different leaf color and the different growth.

I have known about both specimens for years but either did not take an interest in the different fall color or never saw it at all until this year, when I happened to be passing by both of them at around the same time, when it was just starting up; I didn't think to go back later and look when the coloring would be fully underway.

I will want to do such before I decide that a grafted orange form that got circulated and planted in multiple locations is what these two trees (and any others I may encounter) are evidence of.

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 15:40

• lee80903
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes it's a Acer negundo Sensation

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

No problem.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I drove by the one near me today (the other is out in the country) and although most of the leaves were off there was still a dispersal throughout the tree - and they were all yellow. So I may have been seeing something in the two trees that wasn't there, like maybe they have a few orange leaves on the edges but are otherwise yellow most years.

The variation in growth within each tree might be something other than them being two different trees stuck together.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets