Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txtroy

Coral Bark Maple (Sango Kaku) Large Green Leaves - Reversion?

TXTroy
12 years ago

Hey everyone, my two full 6ft coral bark maples were planted in the summer of 2010 and it seemed once they settled in last year, they quickly grew long stems with large dark green leaves, much like a plain ol Japanese maple would. All of the growth is from the middle of the tree, upwards. Nothing below the graft line.

I was told by someone at the nursery that it this can happen after planting in rich /amended soil. Fast forward to this year and the trees initially had normal growth with leaves that looked the same as the rest of the tree, then did the same thing and sprouted the large dark green leaves.

I have two main questions. Is this reversion or just a characteristic of Sango Kakus? What should I do about it? A person who was supposedly "in the know" said I should cut the growth off last year. I'm also starting to wonder if it is the quality of the trees I bought or not and if all Sando Kakus have this problem. They came from a reputable nursery but I can imagine some grafters are better than others.

Any help anyone and especially and expert can provide would be great.

Comments (3)