Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pacific Sunset (and other) sadness

Posted by CEFreeman DC/MD Burbs 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 12:01

Hi all!

I have a Pacific Sunset maple that's struggling. It's been fighting off some kind of fungus (evidently) for the 8 years it's been in the yard. Now I see wood peckers have gone after it. It's stunted (I think) and trying so hard.

I am concerned that it's terribly rootbound, but wouldn't know if there's anything I can do about this. See, my know-everything husband (now history, I'm not sorry to say) helped me plant this. He insisted it would be fine just to put the whole darn thing, root ball, burlap and metal cage, into the ground and leave it.

I've been spraying the bark for bugs and a recommended bleach solution for the fungus. It keeps healing itself, but I can't help be suspicious about its roots.

Is there anything I can do about this? It's probably 15-20' tall now. Poor thing. It has the most beautiful color.

Other:
Over the last 8 years I've planted a bunch of my JMs in different places in the yard. Only 2 years ago did I learn about root pruning and binding. I'm concerned that a couple of them might be root-bound. A Fireglow, Burgundy Lace, Baldsmith, Coral bark, Autrolinear (sp?) and a couple more. Some are only 2-4' tall, and some are a little bigger. Should carefully dig around the roots and check?

What's your advice, folks!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pacific Sunset (and other) sadness

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 23:26

Dig up the small enough ones during the dormant season, wash the roots and make repairs. End of winter might be a good time, as new roots will come out of the cut root ends right afterward, when new top growth starts.

The too big ones you can't do anything about now. Leaving the metal cage on the Keith Warren hybrid was not good, that is for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here