Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Pacific Sunset (and other) sadness

CEFreeman
11 years ago

Hi all!

I have a Pacific Sunset maple that's struggling. It's been fighting off some kind of fungus (evidently) for the 8 years it's been in the yard. Now I see wood peckers have gone after it. It's stunted (I think) and trying so hard.

I am concerned that it's terribly rootbound, but wouldn't know if there's anything I can do about this. See, my know-everything husband (now history, I'm not sorry to say) helped me plant this. He insisted it would be fine just to put the whole darn thing, root ball, burlap and metal cage, into the ground and leave it.

I've been spraying the bark for bugs and a recommended bleach solution for the fungus. It keeps healing itself, but I can't help be suspicious about its roots.

Is there anything I can do about this? It's probably 15-20' tall now. Poor thing. It has the most beautiful color.

Other:

Over the last 8 years I've planted a bunch of my JMs in different places in the yard. Only 2 years ago did I learn about root pruning and binding. I'm concerned that a couple of them might be root-bound. A Fireglow, Burgundy Lace, Baldsmith, Coral bark, Autrolinear (sp?) and a couple more. Some are only 2-4' tall, and some are a little bigger. Should carefully dig around the roots and check?

What's your advice, folks!?

Comment (1)