Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voxfire

bloodgood getting too much sun?

voxfire
15 years ago

hello maple experts! i've got an 8 ft japanese bloodgood i planted about a year ago. it was happy with beautiful red leaves until our neighbor cut down her huge cedar tree which had been providing shade during several hours of the day. our bloodgood's leaves quickly turned a brownish green and drying out (this was in the spring) and never improved. would it help the tree to transplant it to a fairly shady place? i'm in So Cal, so the direct sun is very hot.

thank you in advance.

Comments (6)

• davies-cc
    15 years ago

Well first off, I disavow the 'expert' label ;-)

But I would say you definitely will have to move your JM to a shady spot, or at most morning sun only. Sounds like a pretty big job - good luck.

• voxfire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you so much for the reply! is it right that i should wait to move it until it drops its leaves?

• brettay
    15 years ago

Bloodgood is quite sun tolerant. If there was a rapid increase in sun exposure (as it sounds there was), it may be that the tree just wasn't accustomed to the number of hours of direct sun exposure. You may want to see how it does next year when there is time to adapt. Keep in mind, it is important to keep JMs well watered during hot periods. Some people also use Pro-tekt to increase sun tolerance.

• voxfire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, brettay. that's something to think about. i hadn't heard of Pro-tekt until now. that seems like something i could use on many of my other plants as well.

• gardener365
    15 years ago

In your climate fall is the best time to move them or after leaf drop and when the weather is at it's coolest for the year. In my zone5 it's just the opposite...expecially with Japanese Maples because of late frosts, but here establishment is needed as long as possible so that dictates spring.

It's pretty damn hot here during the summer. Maybe why they call it the midwest. Japanese Maples due their very best as how your's was. Same here. I plant them where dappled sunlight is or in more shade than sun. Otherwise they get somewhat crispy, at least around the edges. Bloodgood as a large specimen here will show perfect leaves with no burn on well established trees. My average summer temps are 80's and 90's with lots of humidity day and night. Probably the second most important thing already mentioned is to water a lot. A lot!

Your call completely. At the minimum to less maximize work, you could get some rebar stakes and hang a shade cloth over it for two years and then let it go from leaf-out and see how it performs. Growing conifers it's a must with many of the full sun golden forms. It may sound unattractive but long story short, it works. Lotsa good advice mentioned here already.

Dax

• voxfire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, gardener365. i may wait and see how it does next year to decide. it's such a beautiful specimen, i would hate to hurt it, either by moving it or not moving it!

i appreciate all of you taking the time to respond!