Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's under and/or around your Japanese maple? Pictures?

Posted by hovegator z9 NorCal (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 13:04

I'll bet this has been asked, but when i did a search i came up with a million threads that didn't help.

I have decided that a Japanese maple (variety to be decided) would look good in a corner of my yard. What shorter plants would look good and thrive under or around it? I am going for a natural, but manicured look that will be easy to maintain. Already walked miles round my neigborhood looking for examples, but all the yards are covered with old junipers of every size, shape, and condition!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's under and/or around your Japanese maple? Pictures?

pittisporum "taiba"....the dwarf mounding shrub that is light green, or maybe chartreuse is a better description of the foliage color. I may have misspelled the variety name.

These pittisporums need very little pruning to maintain their shape. Easy to grow in northern CA. Make nice mounds 1 to 2 feet tall. Spread nicely too.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 31, 06 at 8:17

You didn't mention what type of japanese maple. I'm assuming the weeping lace leaf varieties. It that's the case I don't plant anything under them but mulch. the reson for this is the require pruning and the best way is to lie on your back and prune from the bottom up and inside, resulting in a thin umbrella. That way you can see the trunk better even in summer. Just prune out the branches that are going to be superceded anyway by the natural overlapping growth of the branches.

If however, you are going to have upright Japanese Maples, you can plant almost anything that will grow in your area.
Here's what I did by my driveway,"Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"

o

Fri, Nov 3, 06 at 0:10

Here's another shot of some maples in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maples in the garden

o

stunningly beautiful!

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 4, 06 at 14:35

Hostas.

The pittosporum is likely P. tobira 'Wheeler's Dwarf'.

o

Just some old photos many folks here might have seen over the years of my garden. Got tons of perennials for free and grew some from seed until I incorporated conifers and Azaleas, ect.

Dax

Shade area that's still the same:
Acer palmatum 'Seiryu'
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Acer japonicum 'Acontifolium' a few years old (photo):

'Seiryu' a few year old photo or thereabout:

'Acontifolium' older photo yet (Full Sun):

'Acontifolium' when perennials blooming still full sun:

Dax

o

Mon, Nov 6, 06 at 12:07

Nice Dax! I like the full look of the A japonicum 'Acontifolium'. I was surprised how fast mine grew. It got too big to move before I knew it and now I have to prune to keep it out of the driveway so trucks can get by. It's as thin as a plate. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here