Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maygarden

pruning or not pruning

maygarden
17 years ago

Hi all,

I've just gotten a October glory maple tree and it may need to be pruned into a single leader. However it may be too late now since the side branches are already too big, and the main branch is not straight. Can you please look at the pictures and tell me should I prune it to keep only one leader or just leave it the way it is?

Thank you

{{gwi:1049479}}
by kepfoto

{{gwi:1049480}}
by kepfoto

{{gwi:1049481}}
by kepfoto

Comments (5)

• conifers
    17 years ago

You could prune that thing till your blue in the face. There's a lot of crossover branches (branches that head toward the inside rather than away from the trunk, etc).

I'd suggest if you aren't confident that you find someone who is.

Then I noticed in your second photo that there is a much more dominant leader that you could use. 'However', you really need to understand and that's pretty much impossible to explain to someone unless say they're standing right next to you that a botch job isn't fun so if anything, take each branch one at a time... step back, look, step back, re-evaluate... 'Look', look again!!! then prune...step back. All I'm saying is to cut less is a heck of a lot safer than butchering it.

Find balance.

Truthfully, I don't like that crotch in your photos where several leaders have taken to try and become dominant. I'd and even if the tree looks a bit unbalanced, no matter what, I'd remove the other leaders and then I'd start into the cross-branches, then I'd prune it for shape or 'balance'. Very lastly, select the stronger branching from the trunk and get rid or the pitally skinny branches. It sounds like a lot, but find that balance that's located somewhere in those branching patterns. It's really that simple and sometimes some knumbchuck like me just needs to tell you to be confident. Heck you already figured it all out on your own anyway. Right?

Your tree will catch up belive me and a single leader will form both a much more aestetically pleasing specimen and a healthier tree that will live much longer because you took the time now while the tree is young to correct these issues.

I hope I helped ya.

Regards for your tree,

Dax

• maygarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dax,
    Thank you so much for your advices. I totally agree with you. I have actually thought about that but couldn't decide. Now I feel much more confident to do it. Thanks again
    May

• Miss_Kitty
    17 years ago

It helped me too, I have 3 trees with the same strange growth pattern.

I was afraid that they were beyound hope.

• conifers
    17 years ago

Magnum's tree - "balance and single leader"

Acer rubrum 'October Glory'

Dax

• newbie_landscaper
    15 years ago

I have a newly planted "Autumn Blaze" maple that looks similar - multiple leaders coming out from the same point.
    I just had it planted (for good $$$) and the tree farm owner assured me that they picked out one of their better trees for me. I asked sepcifically about the multiple leaders and he dismissed it as not an issue.
    I have 2 questions:
    1) since this was just planted, it is safe to prune the excess leaders now? Or must I wait?
    2) is this just to be expected from maple trees or was the guy blowing smoke for the sale?

Thanks for the input and advice!