Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eukaryote_gw

Acer pentaphyllum

eukaryote
16 years ago

Does anyone know if Acer pentaphyllum are being propagated from seed, or if seedlings are available anywhere? Any time I see them offered, they are always grafted.

Comments (16)

• herman_neutics
    16 years ago

Euk, i started growing a pair of grafted trees this year.

Intrigued by this plant.
    Do you think they'd be sturdier on their own roots?

• eukaryote
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Herman,

I don't think it would necessarily be healthier on its own roots, but I don't really like grafted trees. I've been growing a grafted one for three years now in a pot. The graft is really visible and it drives me nuts. I tried to root cuttings several times to get a good starter for a bonsai, but to no avail. I love the tree that I have, very elegant foliage, even if it does look a bit like marijuana. Being that it's grafted though, it is just half a tree.

• conifers
    16 years ago

forestfarm doesn't mention whether their trees are grafted or non-grafted but they do sell these.

Dax (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: forestfarm Acer pentaphyllum

• herman_neutics
    16 years ago

Well maybe i do have a seed grown. I assumed it was a graft. One tree i grow came from FF the other from Mendocino Maples. Both were nice specimens. I planted both myself and I can not recall if i examined grafts.....hmmmm.

I have these trees planted at a different garden. I will take a look and report back soon.

Probably all pentaphyllum seekers have already read the story in the link. It is worthwhile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer pentaphyllum adventure

• eukaryote
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine came from Forestfarm. It wouldn't be so noticeable perhaps in a landscape setting, but having it in a pot on the porch you really notice the contrast in bark texture. I think it's grafted onto Acer buergerianum.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I think one I gave to Colvos Creek nursery, Vashon, WA sometimes fruits a little there. You might contact them (via their web site) and see if they have gotten one or two seedlings going, it seems like they might have in the past.

• eukaryote
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I sent a message to Colvos Creek. I've pestered them before about Cathaya argyrophylla, something else that I want and can't get.

• herman_neutics
    16 years ago

I checked with Mendocino and it was grafted.

I came across this in an old (03') UBC thread: "Pentaphyllum grows well from seed or can be grafted on Acer buergerianum. For seed you might try F.W.Schumacher Seed Co. in New York or try web site under their name. Sachiko and Mike Umehara in Santa Rosa, California periodically grow them from seed."

Here is a link that might be useful: UBC Acer pentaphyllum

• rick_seed
    15 years ago

We have customers who have grown this from our seed that came from a specimen tree growing in Australia.

• borubar
    13 years ago

Hi,

Can someone please tell me a source for Acer pentaphyllum ?
    Or can someone collect seed ?

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Google acer pentaphyllym price.

• ltruett
    13 years ago

I got a packet from sheffields recently and have 12 or 13 growing. I lost a few from something that chewed a few down but otherwise they are doing ok.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

I plan on planting one in the front to play tricks on the cops...

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Listed by The Red List of Maples as critically endangered in the wild.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Red List of Maples

• l49jbjr
    12 years ago

to lou midlothian tx thanks for the sheffields tip
    i origially bot wone of these pentas at a nursery in lafayette,ca it grew to about 9 ft in a container and clogged the drain holes and i didnt notice the standing water until it was too late got oanother from forest farms about 4 yrs ago now its about 9 ft. got 9 out 12 seeds from sheffields to hatch. dont plan on trying to fool anyone with mine. thank you again for the sheffields advice l49jbjr