Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Japanese Maple - Your Advice Appreciated

Posted by ruanddu (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 13:42

Hello,

I am considering transplanting two Japanese Maples this Fall after their leaves fall to another area of yard. I planted these about 3-4 years ago and are about 6-7 feet tall now (picture attached).

Do Japanese Maples transplant okay at this stage of their life in your experience?

Can you please share any tips for a successful transplant?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Japanese Maple - Your Advice Appreciated

Picture didn't come through on first post. Hopefully this works?

o

If you need to move, then now is the time.
If the rootball is about 2ft or more, and you do a good job keeping the rootball intact , you should have success. WATER well after planted and mulch better than you are now.
Water well next year and you should have success.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 8:58

I routinely move them at that size. Take your time to get a good rootball and have the hole ready where you're going to plant it, then soak it good with water. Japanese Maples are tougher than most people think.
Mike

o

Thanks everyone. Sounds like with proper care it will be okay to move them once the leaves fall.

Also, I have an arborvitae hedge I want to plant them close to. Would it be okay to plan within 3 feet or so of arborvitae hedge? If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

o

You do not want to plant them any closer than half the canopy spread. For example, if you have a JM with a mature canopy spread of 15', you would not want to plant any closer than 7.5'. This is to allow the canopy to grow unobstructed by any other plants or surfaces and prevent congestion that can lead to damage or diseases.

o

Thanks everyone. Sounds like with proper care it will be okay to move them once the leaves fall.

Also, I have an arborvitae hedge I want to plant them close to. Would it be okay to plan within 3 feet or so of arborvitae hedge? If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

o

I would not plant them closer than half the canopy spread from your arbs.

If the Japanese Maple is expected to get 15 feet wide and the arbs 20 then count off 10 feet for the arbs from the trunk and 7.5 for the maple.

Oh, and if you are in a cold zone like 5 or 4 pushing the maple's cold hardiness I would HURRY or wait till next year.

Good lookin tree btw. What cultivar?

o

Thanks! I can't recall cultivar off top of my head but will look and see if I can find tag.

o

Thanks! I can't recall cultivar off top of my head but will look and see if I can find tag.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here