Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Laceleaf Japanese Maple

Posted by husoryru So.Cal (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 13:52

Can anyone tell me if my Green Laceleaf Japanese Maple tree is ok or if there might be a problem with it. This is my first and I do not know anything about it. Do they change color with the seasons? Do they lose their leaves in the winter? Mine has started to yellow and some of the leaves even brown. I love this tree and do not want it to die. Can someone please help and let me know what to expect or look out for? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Laceleaf Japanese Maple

It looks pretty appropriate for the season to me. Yes, it loses its leaves - if in sufficient sun, these can turn some pretty dramatic shades of gold and orange before they fall but if in a lot of shade, the colors are much less intense.

The brown, dry leaves may be an indication that it is not getting enough water. That does not appear to be a very big container for that large a tree so frequent watering may be called for. You may also want to consider potting up to a larger container size this winter when the tree is dormant.

Southern California also has somewhat alkaline water sources, which are not favored by JM's. Water pH should be somwhere between 5.5 and 6.5. You might want to acidify your irrigation water slightly by adding some household vinegar to the watering can. 1 cup of vinegar per gallon of water.

o

Thank you so much for your information. I will look for a bigger pot to switch it to. And I will learn how to check the pH of my water. When I bought it, the tag stated "morning sun only" Can it take a little bit more than that?

o

Yes, green leaved maples can take a lot of sun. If you are close to the coast, they could likely stand all day sun - further inland I would protect from hot afternoon sun or any heat reflected off of walls, paving, etc.

o

Great. Thank you so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here