Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying small maple tree!

Posted by hstout AR (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 14:21

Hi just wondering if someone can help me identify this maple? I live in a new neighborhood with no trees and needed one for shade in backyard and my aunt gave me this maple tree. (so we think its maple:) Thanks to all!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying small maple tree!

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 19:14

Leaves pretty deeply divided: probably a silver maple. In short, a huge, brittle tree casting light shade.

o

+1 on silver maple

some info:
"The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center indicates that the silver maple's irregular form is not particularly attractive. Its rapid growth creates fragile wood that breaks easily in inclement weather; in addition, it has shallow roots that damage sidewalks and clog underground pipes. It is susceptible to diseases such as anthracnose and verticillium wilt, and its fruit creates messy litter."

o

Ok thanks,but what about a backyard tree away from the house? still not a keeper? if not what would be a fast grower for shade?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 12:50

Nice fall color in my climate, grows about as fast as anything, silvery leaf undersides delightful. But not for locations with anything beneath that could be crushed or broken by branch failures.

You probably need an arbor, gazebo or patio umbrella. How many summers do you want to wait for a tree to produce a pool of shade of any size?

o

That is an Amur Maple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here