Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I trim these branches from Red Maple?

Posted by peter17319 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 16:07

This is an October Glory Red Maple, planted in April 08 (I bought it big!) As you can see, one of the lower branches is sticking way out and looks kinda stupid. Should I cut it off, or wait and let it all even out?

Or maybe the branch looking weird doesn't even matter. Should I be trimming the lower branches anyway? Is that just part of the routine as the tree matures? And if so, should I do the bottom two or the bottom four?

Also, is now the time to do it, or should I wait a few more weeks?

Here is a link that might be useful: October Glory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I trim these branches from Red Maple?

I'd cut the branch if it was my tree, not sure what time of year is best but I'd only cut the one branch and wouldn't hesitate to do it now but perhaps others with more knowledge can advise best time of year to do so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here