Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montecarlo1987

Questions Regarding the Autumn Blaze Maple Tree.

montecarlo1987
9 years ago

Hello. I have a few questions to ask you. I just purchased an Autumn Blaze maple seedling - actually 3 of them. They are all about 8 inches tall with all the very few recent leaves having fallen off them. They all have entered dormancy now. I received all 3 seedlings bare-root. The small time nursery is from the Springfield, MA area. I live in Upstate NY in a hilly part of Appalachian Mountains 3 hours west of NYC or hardiness planting zone 5. I have some questions to ask you about planting and potting trees this time of year. Please answer by question number below. I hope you can please help me.

1. If I decide to pot one now and transplant it next spring into the ground, can I leave the pot in indoors during the winter months? Is this recommended?
2. If I decide to plant it in the ground now (Upstate NY area, hardiness planting zone 5), how much time do I have left (what weather conditions permit/prohibit) this fall season before I am forced to pot it?
3. How big (deep and wide) of a pot do you recommend me to have or use for the over the winter months for a autumn blaze (if you recommend it)?
4. If I do decide to pot one, how often should I water an autumn blaze plant in the pot?
5. If you advise me to leave it in the pot *OUTDOORS* during the winter months, WHEN do I water it?
6. If you advise me to leave it in the pot *OUTDOORS*, do I leave the pot away from snow as to prevent the pot from becoming a potentially snow covered pot or not? Explain if need to.
7. How far in the ground do I plant it when the time comes or I do it now in the fall time?

Please reply ASAP.

Thank you!

This post was edited by montecarlo1987 on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 16:37

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz