Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperpike

October Glory vs. Red Sunset

pepperpike
16 years ago

I am trying to choose between these 2 maple trees and other than mature height and spread there does not seem to be much of a difference. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also can anyone give an approximate cost to purchase and have this planted by a nursery. I am thinking of a 2 1/2 - 3" caliper tree?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (4)

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

Well there isn't much difference between the two from my experience. Usually october glory is a bit more compact, while red sunset spreads a bit quicker. The fall colors are usually similar. October glory may have a bit more leafhopper resistance, but Brandywine probably has the best (and better fall color on most of the trees I've seen in my region). I would personally go with brandywine if I had the option between the whole group, but all are significant improvements over the species IMO.

• conifers
    16 years ago

I can't be of much help other than my books.

Here's what Jacobson, Arthur Lee says and he's opinionated:

Acer rubrum 'October Glory' PP2116 (1961)
    Introduced in 1961-62 by Princeton nursery of New Jersey. Leaves with long red stems; stay green longer than usual into autumn, extending the seasonal display, giving dependable late-season crimson-red fall color. Tree rounded, not dense. Female. (Females Produce Seeds which = weeds)

'Red Sunset' Acer rubrum
    Originated in the late 1940's by Schmidt nursery of Boring, OR. Introduced in 1966. The most commonly planted Red Maple cultivar in the 1970's and '80's. The name was inspired by the song "Red Sails in the Sunset." Its fall color, at least in the north, is long-lasting and superb orange-red. The tree makes a broadly oval crown. Leaves glossy, thick, strongly three-lobed. Female.

Here are some other interesting sounding ones to me:

'Drake' Acer rubrum: Named after Virgil James Drake of County Line nursery, Hartford, MI. Introduced by Schmidt nursery of Boring, OR. Tree of normal growth rate, its crown fairly natural-looking, not markedly round or pyramidal. But its fall color begins very early and goes through changes lasting a long time: distinctively turning from green to a colored border through shades of blue-violet to red and yellow.

He doesn't list a favorite.

Dax

• conifers
    16 years ago

Jacobson, Arthur Lee ÂNorth American Landscape Trees (1996); Ten Speed Press. ISBN:0898158133

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Of the two in the thread title October Glory(R) PP 2116 = 'PNI 0268' is probably better overall. For more details try USPTO web site, plant patent (PP) number search using above number.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arboretum Fact Sheets & Award Winners

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH