Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leadfooter

Autumn Blaze vs Sienna Glenn ?? Faster..Rounder ???

leadfooter
13 years ago

I just cut down some old ash trees and want a fast growing maple that is nice and round also if possible. My local sellers have Autumn Blaze, Sienna Glenn and Burandy Belles.

Which are the fastest and roundest choices I am in southern MN.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

I was under the impression Burgundy Belle was a southern selection of red maple (hence the name). I would be wary of it in the icebox of america. I usually urge people to plant red maple over freeman maple or silver maple hyrbid such as autumn blaze. In your case they may perform better than elsewhere in the country but if red maples grow there then I'd choose a red maple in a heartbeat. I have both october glory and autumn blaze (many many of them) and the october glory is hands down the fastest to grow into a large tree in my experience. Both are OG and AB are pretty round. Autumn blaze may be faster growing than other red maples.
    I'm not familiar with sierra glen.

• slimwhitman
    13 years ago

I respect gardeninggrandma's opinion, but I must disagree with many of her remarks. Here in KC, the red maple is a chlorotic slowpoke. Autumn Blaze and Sierra Glen are much faster. I rarely recommend either for my location since red maple is a terrible tree and freeman maples are prone to serious structural failure when older. Just my 2 cents.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Not to hammer a nail in any further but, there is a ton of Acer x freemanii (Autumn Blaze) structural damage/failure as posted above. I don't know about any other x freemanii cultivars.

There's a lot of choices. Why Acer rubrum grows slowly in Kansas City, I don't know. This is the cultivar I chose for rapid speed: Acer rubrum Embers

Link Below-

Dax
    p.s. Acer rubrum 'Burgundy Belle' is a compact/rounded tree according to the internet. I didn't do much searching though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sooner Plant Farm

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Well yeah... Red maple can't be grown everywhere in the country. Silver maples and silver/red hybrids perform better than red maples where soils are super alkaline.
    That's why I said "If red maples grow there" and "I usually recommend"

I can't comment on the breakage or failure of freeman maples. They seem to thrive by me but I haven't seen any mature ones. I manage over 2 dozen of them. The largest being about 5-6". They often start out with so-so branch structure but seem to grow out of it. I noticed this morning out the kitchen window, with some leaves gone, it looks like one needs some corrective pruning.

• okiegrasshopper
    13 years ago

While the soil in my neighborhood is definitively "alkaline", I don't know that it could be termed "super alkaline". In any case, Autumn Blaze trees outperform Red Sunset and October Glory in growth habit and color in our area. . . in my opinion (GrandmaGrasshopper used to say, "Opinions are like belly buttons, almost everyone has one." ;^) While it is true that Autumn Blaze trees tend to grow rapidly, a legacy of their silver maple heritage, their upward branching tendency and wood density (hardness) inherited from their red maple parentage apparently compensate for what might otherwise prove to be a concern. After five years of envying a neighbor's Autumn Blaze, I took the plunge and ordered two of the critters which will be planted in the next month or so.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

'Magnificent Magenta' (Burgundy Belle is a selling name) was selected in Kansas and is promoted as being drought resistant etc.

It does not automatically follow that a cultivar of a plant selected in a warmer climate is hardy only to that climate, especially when it is derived from a species otherwise hardy in the north. It is true that a new introduction that has not yet been tested in colder climates remains an unknown quantity until northern hardiness has been demonstrated.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Red maples grow fine in st louis. Funny the little differences I notice when driving across Missouri. If I recall the distribution maps correctly Acer Rubrum generally like it north and east in the US.

Cutting down rotting silver maples has left me with a dislike of them in traditional residential settings