Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmacsimus66

Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?

D McElhaney Sr
9 years ago

In looking and reading on the WWW about different types of Maples, how does one identify which tree they actually have? Of the three mentioned in the subject of this post, is there a difference? Which tree do I have? I'm thinking its the Blaze.... its put on 4' of growth, looking at the top it's well rounded, and it competes for a central leader. ... so which one do I have?

Comments (16)

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the fast reply. Well, I remember seeing the tag which included the word freemanii so its a matter now of it's a Blaze or Fantasy. I do now that compared to the other new hybrid I planted by my driveway, it turns a more beautiful Orange ish - Reddish color while the one by my driveway turns red but grows more upright (picture of one by drive). So the leafs of the two, are their differences?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

No, leaves will be almost identical between the two freemans. Fall color may be your deciding factor here but it is seldom really unform. Many variables can determine the intensity and color range of fall foliage.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Had some time and picked a leaf from the one in the street strip and the other one by my driveway. I really appreciate the responses and any other things one can share in these beautiful trees.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front yard shot of trees.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Autumn Fantasy is selected for a having a strong central leader. Autumn Blaze is know for poor branching structure.

Autumn Blaze has a deeper red and Autumn Fantasy is more ruby, more intense.

Autumn Fantasy is considered a superior freeman maple cultivar.

I've seen this in nursery fields, arboretums and my own yard...except my current yard doesn't have autumn blaze. Strictly the state of WI regarding fall color observations though.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, update on color changes of the season here in Visalia, California. In looking at the color differences between the hybrid maple trees, I'm thinking this is the autumn fantasy due to the dramatic colors of oranges and light reds.....

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2/3 Autumn Flame ?

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3/3 Autumn Flame?

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Sienna Glenn tends to color up like that.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhhhh man, I'm thinking this things a Blaze and not a Fantasy. So wishy washy huh.... The growth is unbelievable ( +6' on top ) and the oranges and yellows are crazy colorful. I had to heavily prune the top for the nursery I bought it from had topped it. It had 5 plus branches from the top area of the tree top main and all were trying to be the leader. I know this is common for maples, but I am trying to keep it narrower and prune upwards.... I no for sure though its not a sierra glen, but thanks for the reply.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Typos.... sorry... know not no and Sienna Glenn ..... woops

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I'm late to the party, but your right tree in this photo looks exactly like my 3 gorgeous 'Flames.'

Here's a picture of one of mine a few years ago. I eagerly await these trees turning. 'October Glory' maples are great, too, but this color red is stellar. Darn. Sorry it's not as clear as I remembered. But it's a 'Flame.'

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 9:37

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Actually the one you mention on the right is a RedPoint Maple Tree. The other by the street is still unknown for sure...... thanks

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice looking tree you have btw.
    Happy Holidays

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    9 years ago

all the Autumn Blaze trees I've witnessed have had very bright red color with no orange or yellow combinations.
    Marshall