Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kadasuki

Crimson King Norway Maple, need FAQS

kadasuki
16 years ago

Hi forum

Another forum-azalea/rhods advises me to get rid of my tree as it is supposedly invasive, and destructive to lawns and foundations as well as not allowing other plants under it such as grass, shrubs. Is this so? Any discussion about this?

{{gwi:398525}}

Comments (4)

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

Well I haven't had too much experience with crimson king as most norway maples dont perform well in the deep south, but in my experience any fairly vigorous maple can cause some of these problems...but probably not to the extent that you should remove it.

They do have fairly vigorous roots that can choke out small shrubs and grass under the canopy if no irrigation is present. But, I dont think it is too close to the foundation to cause problems from what I can see. As long as you mulch the bed around the base of the tree annually and give the roots some room to spread out you should be able to plant several types of shrubs around the base...but azaleas and rhodies probably wouldn't be suitable since they prefer a moist but well drained soil. The maple will draw up alot of the moisture and shrub selection would be important. I'll agree that it isn't the best tree in the world...I would have gone with a bloodgood JM or something a little less vigorous, but I don't know that I would trash it.

Note that with most trees you will have these problems with some degree.

• thomashton
    16 years ago

My dad has one maybe 15 feet from his house that was there when we moved in back in 1983. So, it has been there at least 25 years, the grass grows under it fine and goes right up to the trunk with no tree circle, mulch or anything. I just saw it yesterday while visiting and did not notice any above ground roots through the grass no any foundation problems.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Many Norway maples here have bare ground beneath (we have dry summers).

"The larger species, such as Norway, Sugar, Big-leaf, and Red Maples, are fast growers (2-3 ft. a year), quickly building shade for a country lane or a large woodland garden of easy lines. For street planting and home gardens, oaks would be a better choice: They deliver big shade nearly as fast as the large maples, are less ready to drop limbs during snow and ice storms, and don't have the maples' dense, shallow, competitive roots."

--G. Schenk, THE COMPLETE SHADE GARDENER (Houghton Mifflin)

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    16 years ago

These are beautiful trees and they do provide a dense shade canopy, perfect for lounging out of the sun. So you have to choose your landscape to suit your tastes.

I have 4 of these going across my front yard and in some areas the grass is a bit thin but I never thought to credit the Crimson King Maples for having to mow those areas less. I thought it was due to all the foot traffic of people seeking to picnic out of the sun.