Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam268

Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???

sam268
14 years ago

Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read so much negative things about it. I really like the color of the Autumn Blaze and also the upright branchings.

Looks like a good alternative would be this Redpointe but I can only find limited pictures and info on the web

www.redpointemaple.com

please share your experience with this tree.

I plant to get one this Spring as all nursery near where I live is sold out.

Comments (58)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

"Frankly"? How appropriate, considering the subject.

• sam268
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have not pull the trigget yet but do need something abit nore narrow with good red color.
    Please kindly share who wide your repointe is with age.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

>Please kindly share who wide your repointe is with ageAppears to be too new on the market for that.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Acer rubrum Red Rocket is a Maple I purchased a few years ago from Sooner Plant Farm. Check it out... there's a link above to their nursery. I see you're in Canada, Sam. Anyways, maybe they ship up to Canada or you may find it elsewhere for sale.

Dax

• D McElhaney Sr
    9 years ago

Day late and a dollar short, but here is my RedPoint Maple Tree. It was planted in 2009 from a 15 gal container and was at atleast 10' tall. It's now close to 18' tall and I have pruned it every year after 2011 to fine tune structure, form, and give the trunk more girth in respect to height. The tree is awesome, if you havent gotten one yet, do it. It will be loved!

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

That is beautiful!!!

• D McElhaney Sr
    9 years ago

Thank you very much tlbean2004.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Looks like Forestfarm now offers Redpointe.

Is there a consensus on this yet, as to whether it's actually a rubrum or an x freemanii? Looks more Freeman, albeit a much better behaved one, but it's almost exclusively marketed as an Acer rubrum.

• D McElhaney Sr
    9 years ago

Mine is confirmed a RedPoint Maple Tree from midvalleytrees.com
    Awesome trees

• User
    8 years ago

I gather this Redpointe is located in the Central Valley. Any problems with leaf burn during the long hot summers?

It's a beautiful tree.

• D McElhaney Sr
    8 years ago
    I have had no problems with burning leaves on mine. it's in zone 9.
  • User
    8 years ago

Thanks for the help Dmacsimus. I found a couple 15' Redpointe maples up in Lake Arrowhead. I'll wait until they go dormant before purchasing and planting them in the High Desert. I was told I'm in zone 8b (zip 92345). Hopefully I'll have success like yourself as I'm a novice.

• Pecci
    7 years ago

Any follow-up on the Redpointes being grown in CA. Any marginal leaf-burn yet? Thank you.

• D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    Pecci, the leaves of mine are just now starting to come out again for another season. I will try to remember to take a pic and post it. my tree is planted in a yard, so it get watered on a regular basis. on some very hot summers I can see the tree is hotter than it would like, but to date so far, the leaves themselves do not show any damage.
  • Pecci
    7 years ago

Thanks. Did they show any damage this past Sept & Oct? Which nursey did you find Redpointe?

• D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    no signs of trouble, my local dealer which doesn't carry them anymore, but if I remember one mail order co does. I think it's forestfarms.com in their acer section of trees. just check your zone for the tree.
    good luck.
  • Pecci
    7 years ago

Thank so much, sir.

• D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    Welcome
  • D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    update, pic as of 04-23-2017. just leaved out. very nice tree ! fast grower ! beautiful fall colors . tree that's hard to beat overall.
    dmacsimus
  • Pecci
    7 years ago

That is beautiful! Got my Redpointe yesterday and it'll be planted w/i a few days.

• D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    your gonna like it. I think out of the MANY hybrids of Silver Maples, this one is the winner ! just so ya know, they like moist drained soil, and they will seek water sources.
    cheers,
    dmacsimus
  • Pecci
    7 years ago

Thank you, my friend. Let's update each other from time to time.

• D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    sounds cool, I try to update all my trees. if ya have some time search for me: dmacsimus, or dmacsimuss66. I have alot of oaks too. really think their cool.
    cheers,
  • D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    oops, typo : dmacsimus66
  • Pecci
    7 years ago

Which oaks do you have?

• Pecci
    7 years ago

I checked. You have many. Don't you wish you owned a few acres? I did a few years back in MO. I planted maples, oaks, dogwoods, etc. The state gave them away for free.

• D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    in the ground, I have Q. Regal Prince, Q. Pinnacle (special seed select Burr oak, Vertical Variation), Q. Laceyi, and a Q. Scarlet Letter oak.

in buckets, I have: Q. Acutissima, Q. Velutina, Q. Pinnacle (from my yard oak), Q. Marilandica, and a white oak I just can't remember right now. :))
  • D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    and yes very much so ! I wish I some Akers of land. to feed the deer and the antelope, the squirrels. would be so sweet.
  • D McElhaney Sr
    7 years ago
    Q. Garryana, that's the other two I have. whew, old timers is getting to me. JK
    lol
  • D McElhaney Sr
    6 years ago
    just within the time I posted last time. look at all the new growth. I really like these trees !
  • Pecci
    6 years ago

Looking good. Yours looks to be a tad broader than I would have expected. Got mine in L. Arrowhead a month ago. It's off to a great start. The leader has already grown 5". Nice dark green leaves that, at this time are a bit thicker than my other maples.

• D McElhaney Sr
    6 years ago
    Pecci, show me pics of your trees please . :))
  • Pecci
    6 years ago

Yes, as soon as one of my kids teaches me how to. Maybe tomorrow.

• D McElhaney Sr
    6 years ago
    ok, I'll be waiting.
  • D McElhaney Sr
    6 years ago
    update as of today, 08-12-2017
  • Pecci
    6 years ago

Looking good. I had taken the pics, but was unable to get them on. Mine has absolutely no leaf-burn yet. I do some deep leeching every 3 wks, to rinse the root-zone of salts.

Thanks for the update. Be sure to post a pic of it's best look during Fall. I will have my daughter help with my photos, when I see her.

• D McElhaney Sr
    6 years ago
    fall pic, just a tad late to get the whole effect. still beautiful fall color! really luke the tree.
  • D McElhaney Sr
    6 years ago
    oops, lol, like.
  • Pecci
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Mine has just begun. A little yellow & a couple of red leaves. The 100+ degree heatwave we had last week that lasted several days didn't help any. We had one night that stayed in the 70s with SA winds. Humidities fell as low as 4% for a time.

Your tree looks good. A tiny bit of marginal leaf-burn only began about 10-15 days ago, on mine and probably due to our very long growing season. Those leaves are so old.

• Pecci
    6 years ago

Warm nights (60ish) are ruining any chance for color. What a drag. I would show pics if there was anything to show. Many leaves are browning-up nicely! ;(

• D McElhaney Sr
    6 years ago
    when ya do, post a pic. they are a beautiful tree. I just wish the leaves stayed on a bit longer, for the tree purges them fairly at a fast rate. ;)
  • D McElhaney Sr
    5 years ago
    update: 8-21-18, end of summer pic of its growth. very nice tree with no reportable problems. it does require thinning pruning, and branch selective pruning, but nothing other trees don't also require. really an all around very pleasant shade tree, for a semi fast growing shade tree. drops all of its leaves cleanly early winter, and has nice fall colors.
  • Pecci
    5 years ago

It seems to have grown quickly. This year mine appears to have smaller leaves than last (yr. one). Thanks for sharing.

• D McElhaney Sr
    5 years ago
    share a pic of your tree. yes, it's really taking on some size now. can't wait for the summer shade from it. thanks.
  • Joe Williams
    4 years ago

I'm going to revive an old thread, since I see Dmacsimus is regularly active on the forums. After 10 years now, is your opinion of the Redpointe still good? I assume in CA you probably have fairly alkaline soil, does it still maintain a good green color through out the growing season without any chlorosis or yellowing? Thanks

• Pecci
    4 years ago

I'm in Inland OC and mine has been flawless, sfter its 3.5 yrs.. We're not cold enough to turn the brightest fall colors, but no chlorosis at all. Marginal leafburn is non-existant until fall & leaves begin to turn. My soil ph is 7.8, so is my water. At 12' not growing as quickly as I expected & leaves are smaller, also.

• D McElhaney Sr
    4 years ago

Hey Joe, I have not had any problems with my tree from the ground in my area. I took this picture today, and as you can see all the leaves are a nice green color. The tree produces great colors in the fall and drops its leaves cleanly. It’s a great choice for the shade summer, sun winter option kind tree. Cheers

• splaker
    2 years ago

seems like the redpointe fall color is not at bright/brilliant as the Atumn Blaze. True? Thoughts?

• Joe Williams
    2 years ago

Mine have been in the ground for 2 years now. In the 2 falls I've had them, the fall color was more of a maroon color instead of bright red. However I don't expect true fall colors on a tree in the first 2 years, so I'm withholding my judgement. I have noticed they begin to turn early since I've had them...they are both already showing tinges of maroon and red in mid August. It has been a very wet and mild summer here in central IN (except for the past week).

I will say I am very happy with the trees though. In my area, where so many red maples suffer from yellowing and chlorosis late in the summer, they have consistently had a good, clean, medium green foliage all summer long. They have put on about 8" of new growth each of their 2 summers, with a nice increase in trunk caliper. Next summer, in their 3rd year, I'm expecting a bigger jump in growth rate.