Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pierreone

Neighbor's silver maple-how soon until garden is shaded?

pierreone
16 years ago

Two years ago my neighbor to the south planted a tiny tree that is now 10ft. tall. It is a multiple trunk tree planted 7 feet off my fence. He just told me this weekend that it's a silver maple. After researching, it doesn't sound like a very desirable tree, especially for our smaller suburban yards (1/3 acre).

I read that this is a fast grower, but how fast is fast? I have a substantial rose garden opposite this tree and am wondering how many years until it's in the shade. I also read that the silver maple has shallow, invasive roots. Will I also have a root problem in my garden, being only 7ft from the tree?

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• callicarpa89
    16 years ago

We are trying to get rid of a 60' Silver Maple on our 1/3 acre lot. It is a messy tree and "The roots are shallow and fibrous and easily invade septic fields and old drain pipes and can also crack sidewalks and foundations. It is a vigorous resprouter, and if not pruned, it will often grow with multiple trunks." - Wikipedia

We had a problem with our sewer drain being clogged by the roots, our driveway is cracked from them too and the shallow roots come up in the lawn. We constantly have to pluck the little sprouts and don't even bother mulching until it has dropped most of its seed pods - which will sprout in practically any condition.

I can't speak to how fast it will grow but they say they are planted to provide fast shade and also in wet areas to deal with excess water.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

I just love this forum I always have an outlet for any negative thoughts or feelings I might have with the never ending silver maple threads ;>) The answer to your first question is YES your rose garden is a gonner unless you like non blooming or sparcely blooming roses with said blooms small and not very colorful...gangly leggy worthless roses with very pretty leaves although sparce and nicely shapen thorns ...Unfortunatly these trash trees can grow 10-15 feet a year under ideal conditions once it gets it's root system esablished...I would say in ten years a seedling will be around here 25-50 or more feet tall and wide with a trunk up the 2-3 feet in diameter...As far as the roots I really don't know much about them but I think it is kind of a moot point since you will be seriously effected anyway add to that falling branches from wind and ice and you've got a A#1 trash tree mess!! You are so close to it that likely any tree other than a dogwood or bush is going to effect you. I would suggest offering to buy a nice flowering red bud or dog wood for your neighbor if he would both cut that garbage down and plant the new one away from your rose garden ...your only other solution is to move your garden to a differnt rose friendly spot...which will be MUCH more work and still doesn't solve the inevitable problems you will have in the future from THEIR mis-judgement reguardless of what is on your side of the fence ..David

• pierreone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ugh! Even worse than I feared.

Neighbor told me his dad grew this tree from a seed and is very proud of how well it's doing. I'd totally be willing to pay to replace it with something else -- wonder how he'd take it.

Thanks for the info.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

If it has sentimental reasons good luck ...growing a silver maple from seed is about as hard as growing a green bean from one ...it would be harder to NOT have it sprout ...it bs by far the easiest maple to sprout and that is another reason to deep six them ...they will be springing up everywhere you look in a couple of years ...yah a real keepsake...kind of like inheriting her fathers debts sweet ;>) David

• carterobrien
    16 years ago

the issue is really why he needed to plant it only 7' from your fence. this is definitely a tree with roots that can upheave sidewalks and garage foundations. at the very least he ought to move it to the middle of his yard.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

You could print out information about silver maples and give it to the neighbor and hope he will consider cutting it down and replacing with something else more desirable.

• breenthumb
    16 years ago

Sorry to say it won't be long before you not only have shade but things dropping from it constantly. I think the worst are those bud things in spring, then the spinners, finally leaves,... and small branches always. Our neighbor put one next to his house. Front or back may have been OK, but between houses is only about 40'. Now (admittedly years later, but its been going on forever)it drops its "stuff" on our garage (clogs gutters) and driveway and works its way into garage and eventually inside no matter how careful we are. Luckily they are North of us, but it still shades what used to be a little herb garden because of the spread.

I had a large one taken out of our front yard last summer and while they were here with a bucket truck had them trim neighbors tree back to the lot line. They had a fit! But it was perfectly legal--would sure get expensive to take that option regularly though. Hope your neighbors are saner than mine. Sandy

PS: Moss is growing thick under their roof shingles and I'm waiting for the darn thing to take down their foundation. Its only 5' from their house now and one of many junk trees. Poplars and cottonwood galore.

• bacraftymom_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

I have 2 silver maples in my front yard. The roots are
    running under my sidewalk and hope not under my house.
    Is there any way to cut the roots that we can see without
    killing the trees. Can you give me some suggestions?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Curtting a few will not kill the tree immediately
    Is a problem for infection though.

Any chance u could
    Cut one tree down now and replace with something more size appropriate then come back in a few years and remove and replace the other?

• jcalhoun
    13 years ago

I have worked out a similar deal with my neighbor. I'm going to plant two nice shade trees in the center of his front and back yard in exchange for cutting down two smallish popcorn trees along our property line.

The trees were already there when he bought the house so he's attached to them.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations