Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gnarly Maple, Anyone?

Posted by nolamom 8/LA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 19:49

hi folks,

what maple is the gnarliest? i don't have the 50 years or so i'm guessing it takes to make a tree naturally twisted and bent, so am wondering if there is one kind that is known for this characteristic? thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gnarly Maple, Anyone?

Personally I do not know but I can recommend something that is exactly what you're looking for. Grows fast and contorted and great fall color and stays pretty narrow with a single leader (doesn't take a huge spot). A great all-around tree.

Larix kaempferi 'Diana'. You cannot go wrong.

Dax

o

Up here in Logan Canyon (Utah) there are many, many gnarly box elders. You are looking for a gnarly maple, well, this fits the bill. They grow super fast too. I would look for something in an all male cultivar such as "Sensation" so you avoid the winged mess and invasion of box elder bugs. That cultivar is also particularly pretty and red in autumn which isn't typical of normally yellow box elders.

Don't know what conditions they need to create the burls, but they can get incredibly gnarly in the right conditions. Mostly I have seen them this way near water.

o

Some of the Japanese Maples in the Dissectum category are quite twisted and bent. One called 'Germaine's Gyration' comes to mind - named specifically because of its wild, twisting braches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here