Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidhmd

Transplant or Trash Japanese Maple?

davidhmd
16 years ago

We've owned this propertly for 6 years. Tree is in front yard, and I don't like it b/c color has been consistently green with only hints of red tones.

I think I've decided to cut it down, but I feel guilty about killing it. I might consider transplanting to another section of the yard if it's worth tranplanting and if it's likely to survive the move. Photo links:

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2007/10/greenish_japanese_maple_tree.html

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2007/10/japanese_maple_1.html

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2007/10/japanese_maple.html

Tree is at least 8 years old, probably alot older. 3" trunk base, 7' high, 9' at widest point. Tree gets full sun for most of day. Soil is very sandy, dry, and well drained.

Comments (7)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Do you mean green to greenish red in s summer ...I would assume it is red in spring and fall at least more so . It is a nice tree but likely just a seed grown tree possibly an atropurpureum...normal ... if so I don't see the tree iTSELF as the problem but #1 standing naked with no planting around it ...makes it look silly at best...even a "trophy" tree would look a little odd planted like that... #2 it badly needs trimming... I am NOT a big fan of such but it looks badly shaped... #3 it will cost a bunch to move it ...and if you do it yourself it will either kill you or it. If you are not willing to pay to have it moved and do some plantings around it trim it ...or leave it there and do same ,..I would suggest attempting to can get someone else to dig it for you and take it .If thst fails then yes as a last resort cutting it down Thats just my opinion I am sure others may disagree or have other suggestions ...I think the tree itself is ok and with an area devoted to it surounded by other plantings can really dress it up but as it is now it's just really stupid looking ..David

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

I might that most JM's green out pretty drastically in the summer no matter where you live except "maybe" in JM perfect growing areas... that has been my experience anyway...Some hold there color OK but they ain't like the catalogues...Folks aleawys come to my place to see my maples in the mid to late summer and want to dee RED Japanese maples ...I try to tell them many are but it is virtually impossible at least here for any to retain redness for the entire season .I tell them to come back in May or June..they in turn are disappointed...In addition there are many that are green all season or yellow green or yellow in sping and fall and totally green all summer ...They are still Japanese Maples... now most folks here know this but I think on occasion it is wise to not be "snobs" and realise most of us were once newbe's and really didn't know... David

• garyinsullivan
    16 years ago

Ild take the suggestions of David...trying to move that by yourself would a real killer. Here is another idea..try selling it on ebay..Ive seen quiet a few listed as such..as in...you move!

just a thought

Gary

• Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
    16 years ago

First I read the posts and then I looked at the pics. Jeez, guys. I got the impression that this was a huge tree. The maple in the picture wouldn't be hard to move. I've moved similar sized ones in yard and I'm in Texas. We prefer to move in the winter when it's dormant. If your more north, you might consider moving in the Spring. I think it's a worthy looking guy, just not thrilling you in the front yard...try to move it. What do you have to lose? You'd be surprised at how many trees can actually be transplanted and survive with a little extra water the following year. You might consider "thinning it out" a little, but it has a nice trunk.

• conifers
    16 years ago

I'd opt to transplant it too. Wait (zone 6) till April and move it if you decide you wish to keep it. I agree it would not be 'too difficult' to move. It's not very big.
    I think you'd be surprised as well. Keep it watered the entire next year if that's what you choose to do. Light fertilizer (1/2 rate of Miracle Grow) every other watering should help. Add a little compost to the new hole as well mixed with the native soil (consistencey 1/4 compost to native 3/4).

Never is it a good idea to keep something, especially right in front of your home, if you do not like it!

Dax

• esamart
    16 years ago

Don't kill it. For a bonsai hobbyist it is fine material because it is multitrunk which divides low so good taper is easy to achieve.

• davidhmd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. While it may be slightly less green during other times of the year, it never gets a truly dark red color except as the leaves are dying in the fall.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!