Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thahalibut

Whats a good maple for me?

thahalibut
15 years ago

I need advice on what japanese maple to get. I am in zone 9 near Sacramento. It will have a half day of sun or more(depending what spot its in). I would like one no taller than 20' with the best color.

thahalibut

Comments (7)

• gardener365
    15 years ago

If for some reason nobody chimes in, I'd recommend you speak with Mendicino Maples. They're in California.

Dax

• stevest
    15 years ago

If you're looking for something closer to 20' in height, I'd go with one of the upright palmatum cultivars. There are loads to choose from, many of which color up beautifully in the fall. If you'd like a red or bronze leaf year round with crimson in the fall, I'd recommend a 'Fireglow'. They'll reach 12-15' and I can vouch for their heat tolerance (I live in the Dallas area and watched my fireglow withstand one of our hottest summers on record in 2008 with no leaf burn). If you're more interested in a green leafed variety, I'd suggest Acer Japonicum 'Aconitifolium' (18'), Acer Palmatum 'Sango Kaku' (18'), or if you'd like a more finely textured leaf a 'Seiryu' (14').

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Under marginal conditions ordinary wild-type green seedlings are the best bet, often named cultivars are less tough. Issues there may include blazing afternoons and minerals in the water. See Sunset Western Garden Book for cultural information.

There you might not see a wild-type green seedling grow more than 20' tall. It's even possible getting any Japanese maple to do well may be more of an issue than being overwhelmed by the growth that is produced. Even a seedling of normal vigor might take at least 20 years to grow 20' tall. Here in a much more gentle climate the one next door is now about that height, I think it was here when we moved in in 1965. Since we also have dry summers up here (although not nearly as hot as yours) the late summer appearance of Japanese maple cultivars varies markedly from one site to the next, even those in close proximity - depending mostly on how much irrigation is being undertaken.

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

I agree with bboy. Try to find a species Japanese Maple. They are amazingly tough little trees, much more so than the typical hybrid.

Randy

• cabosan1978
    15 years ago

I hope nobody minds but I have a question about an "ever-red" japanese maple. There are so many different varieties and this is my first so I dont know how close the fireglow and ever red are together.

I planted an ever red (apprx 4' tall x 2' wide) in a new green space between a new patio and a driveway this past summer to hopefully provide future seperation of the two areas. Being on the edge of zones 4 & 5 this plant is now covered in 2 feet of snow. I did cover the top with burlap as we had an arctic blast during the past few days.

Is my JM doomed?

• gardener365
    15 years ago

An old thread... maybe the poster will return, i don't know.

Acer truncatum jumps out right away.
    there's a few cultivars and one is 'Fire Dragon'. They should all do very well for you. Not picky about soil, drought, hot weather, etc-

Dax

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

I USDA 4/5 your weeping laceleaf maple may freeze out some winter or have chronic problems with damage to the new growth in spring. USDA 5 is the edge for Japanese maple trees, some references rate them hardy to USDA 6 but there have been posts here of people talking about individual specimens persisting for years in parts of USDA 5.

On account of having the leaves broken up abnormally into fine segments laceleaf Japanese maples can be more delicate when in leaf than other kinds. The low, weeping habit is also conspicuously unnatural. So, this tree is a good candidate for an enclosed courtyard or other area where it can be featured by itself, away from more normal-looking trees and shrubs and also get some protection from cold winds and hot sun. It is not such a good choice for making a hedge or barrier out in the open. In addition to the exposure perhaps not being suitable the problem of its growth having reached the limits of the space and being pruned back unattractively may also develop some day. You do not want to be shearing a tree-like choice specimen plant like this, nor have it located where it appears crowded or confined visually even if it is not limited physically.