Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Need help identifying these 2 maples.

newgen
14 years ago

These are not anything rare, just common Japanese maples at big box stores. I'm looking for the exact scientific names. I know "A" is some type of Acer palmatum "Dissectum", which cultivar exactly I don't know.

Thank you,

{{gwi:384271}}

{{gwi:384272}}

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

It is very possible these are just seedling Japanese maples, in which case they do not have a cultivar name. Sometimes the big box stores and other discounters buy from large growers that are selling culls or seedling plants that do not demonstrate any unique qualitites that might warrant further propagation. It is pretty easy to tell these apart from named forms as there will be no graft. And since you bought these unlabeled, this is a pretty safe assumption.

OTOH, the laceleaf does look as though it has been grafted. There are very few green leaved laceleafs and I'd be willing to put good money on the likelihood of this being 'Viridis', the most common and widely sold of these.

The second is harder to tell. Look to see if there is a graft. If it exists, providing close up photos of the foliage may help to narrow it down, but it looks very similar to 'Osakazuki'. And it is planted MUCH too close to the house = it should be spaced at least 5' away - 10' would be better.

• newgen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gardengal48:
    The laceleaf was bought at Home Depot, there does appear to be a graft junction from what I can see. You said that it may be Viridis. Isn't Viridis a common description for all "green" laceleafs? I took a photo showing that there are quite a few reddish leaves.

About the other tree that's too close to the wall, I can't see any graft site on the trunk, so it may be a seedling like you said. Here's a closeup of one of its leaf.

Thanks!

{{gwi:1050097}}

{{gwi:1050098}}

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

The first photo of the dissectum didn't show that reddish cast.......without examining the plant in person, it could be that this is a red leafed form that is very washed out in color from being in considerable shade or a green leaf that is beginning to develop fall color. It's tough to say exactly without seeing how the tree adapts to the garden and progresses through the seasons. I'm inclined towards it being 'Viridis' because a) Lowes and other box stores/discounters sell this variety by the truckload and b) the leaves are simply too green to be a redleafed form, even under color stress :-)

And 'Viridis' IS a registered cultivar, probably the oldest of the weeping green leafed dissectums. There are other green leafed dissectums but other than 'Waterfall', most are rather uncommon and I'd be surprised to see them outside of a specialty nursery.

The second tree looks very much like the species, except the leaves are slightly larger than standard. I'd also give this time to settle in and document how looks through the seasons -- personally, considering the source, I'd be surprised if it was anything very unique.