Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese maple lighting and watering needs.

Posted by jasonkola Z5 Eastern Washingto (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 07 at 23:19

I have seen lots of Japanese maples arround here that I really like. I don't know th names. the tree I am looking for has deep red leaves all through the summer and spring and fall. they grow small and bush like. usually not much above 6 feet. they also have a thin split thin lacy leaf. can any one give me some good ideas for options and let me know there watering needs and sunlight needs. the aria I have planed to plant them dose not get alot of direct sunlight. maybe 3 to 4 hours a day in the summer and much less perhaps 1 to 2 hrs a day in the winter. I may relocate them a little if they can not tolerate that little light. also I plan an automatic watering system for them that will have drip emitters but need to know just how much water is too much and ahat is too little. we do have dry spells in the summer sometimes that are 6 to 8 weeeks long and hot uper 90's and lower 100's for a week or more at a time. of coarse I know that some of these trees can be a bit intolerant of some of the coldest dayes in this Z5 will I need to cover these trees? any info would be great thanks. Jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese maple lighting and watering needs.

I will attempt to answer some of your plethora of questions others can continue this discussion.
1. your tree would do better with a bit more sun light morn sun and afternoon shade or at least filtered shade for the non sun period if less sun . your tree will do just fine but may not be very red or red at all?? In winter it really doesn't matter
2. you are talking about an Japanese maple of dissectum form. There are several that will do ok in your zone including the Crimson Queen and the Tamukeyama the latter IMHO is a superior tree in every respect and MORE winter hardy from my personal experience. Neither tree or any other dissectum is very sun /heat tolerant when it gets to 90-100 degrees for periods of time, but yours being in the shade alot will help...it won't die but just have leaf burn and color loss ( in too much sun as in too much shade shade as the summer gets hot)
3. you shouldn't need to cover in winter but expect occasional die back,.
4. Ask folks with the trees you like what they are ...they likely won't know the cultivar but what the hay it's worth a shot...They may just be seedless no names ...if they were here i would say that ( seed grown generics or Crimson Queens since we are in the dark ages when it comes to JM's ....but you are in JM country or at least near so who knows???..
Hope this helps others can yap in now especially about your water requirments which i wouldn't touch with a ten foot hocky stick ;>) David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here