Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New leaves on Japanese Maple dying

Posted by elliekhan Australia, QLD. (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 1:19

I have a japanese maple in a pot. Since the start of spring it has grown vigorously with long branches and healthy leaves sprouting. In the past week however, the newest leaves on the tips of these branches has begun to wilt and dry out, before eventually falling off. I water the plant two- three times a week, depending on how hot it has been. It gets morning sun until about 11am.
What is going wrong?! Am I watering too much, or too little? Does the soil need extra nutrients to reach the tips of the branches?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New leaves on Japanese Maple dying

Difficult to know about watering needs remotely but I'd suspect that as a problem before anything else. How frequently you may need to water depends on the size of the container, how long the plant has been in it, potting medium and of course the weather - how hot, any rainfall, if the container is in sun, etc.

In full season here, it is not abnormal to need to water containerized plants on a daily basis. In very warm weather and for smaller sized containers, that could be bumped up to twice a day.

Containerized plants will always need more routine fertilization than those in the ground simply because they don't have any other resources to draw upon. I use a slow release fertilizer (like Osmocote) at the start of the season then infrequently supplement with a dilute water soluble fert for the rest of the growing season.....maybe a total of 3 or 4 times, stopping about the end of July (or a good two months before leaf change and the beginning of dormancy).

o
RE: New leaves on Japanese Maple dying

Thank you for your reply! I am going to abstain from watering for a couple of days and see how we go. I now think I have a problem with a pest, so am going to post another thread now to seek help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here