Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joobee_gw

japanese maples

joobee
16 years ago

I have never been so confused as to picking out a tree. Is there anyway to narrow down the choices? I would just like a small yellowish green weeping japanese maple.

Is there any one site with good pictures and growth habits that anyone can recommend?

thanks,

judy

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Well, you've narrowed down the choices very nicely with your requirements - there are not all that many small, greenish, weeping laceleafs, at least compared to the red leafed forms :-)) Look for something like 'Viridis' or 'Waterfall'. Or if you have the space for something a tad larger, Acer japonicum 'Green Cascade' is a stunning plant with superb fall color.

Mountain Maples has an excellent JM website with lots of good photos. They are located in California (are you a CA zone 9?) and also have great suggestions for maples best suited for your warmer climes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain Maples

• joobee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for aiming me in a direction. Mt. Maples has a very nice web site. Seems like all of the ones that I really like are sold out at this time. But I can make a great list of possibles to search for in the future. I mistyped my region. I am in the midwest #5, very close to St. Louis MO.
    Thanks again!
    judy

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

There are many good etailers...feel free to email me personally at myersphcf@aol.com if you want some other scources and advise for our area ...If you are very near St. Louis you are more likely in zine 6b not 5 as I am 100 north and am in 6a ( with the new zone info out ...) Most JM's will do well in your area unless you have another spring like the last one...The St. Louis area was hit much harder than I was and Chicago NOT at all. The Mo. Botanical gardens has many differnt species of JM's although I have no idea whether all or any made it through last spring ...I would guess yes but they will likely be sparce this year ... be prepared to find 90% are NOT marked with any info on what cultivar they are so it is a visual treat not a place to say "hey I like and want that one for my yard;>) david

• joobee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are only about 35 miles NE of St. Louis. We lost a beautiful JM to the frost (as luck would have it we were in Hawaii at the time) I loved that tree. I got it on clearance at Walmart about 12 years ago. It was a pitiful little thing that I buried in the ground with a tablespoon (no shovel small enough) It grew into a beauty about 7 ft tall and I am lost without it on my patio! hope next spring is kinder. Those zone maps are tricky to read. 6b? I will remember, thank you.