Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Japanese Beetle Grubs

CEFreeman
9 years ago

OMG.
I just took my 'Oshi Beni' out of its 3-year pot to root prune and ut it into its permanent position in the garden.

In its dirt were 13 large Japanese beetle grubs. Totally disgusting.
However, I did notice a dearth of hair-like roots I expect to find. I'm concerned the grubs were feasting on these little roots, as they would grass roots. The tree has otherwise been its normal self all through the year. Right down to its gorgeous red fall color.

My questions:
1) am I off-base and worrying unnecessarily?
2) is there something I should get to promote root growth? I know there are things to soak bulbs and peony roots in. How 'bout trees?

I'll be picking up some milky spore again and remembering to sprinkle in my pots. It's been about 12 years since I've seen any grubs, so I guess the Spore's 10-year life span has been reached.

Thanks for your thoughts!
P.S. I do not root prune in the spring because every time I do that, my trees die. I have 100% success rates pruning in November, after the trees lose their leaves. Thank you.

Comments (4)

• qwade
    9 years ago

Yes those beetles are annoying. They usually do more damage to the foliage in my vegetable garden than they do to the roots. I've never seen them on the leaves of my maples.
    I'm guessing they did indeed do some munching on your tasty roots. The eggs are usually laid in the late summer and they where growing this fall. Young juveniles I'm sure they had an appetite.
    Luckily you re potted and found them. They could have caused more damage in the spring. Since you still have roots and the tree is acting well, i'm sure it will be fine.
    I use a Mycorrhizal Fungi on the roots of newly potted trees. Reputed to help develop expansive root systems.Seems to help. Your tree being already established may not need it. I however do use it on a established tree if I am doing a lot of root work when repotting. Hope that helps John

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate the response!

I'm concerned because there weren't any of the white, hair-like roots.

Do you use a particular product? I'll do a search on Mycorrhizal Fungi.

I'm going to have to do something about the other, long-term, potted maples!

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I picked up a rhododendron in a trade that was infested with strawberry root weevils. My solution was to put the rootball in one of my ponds for 24 or so hours. That's long enough to drown the grubs, but not too long to drown the roots of the rhododendron. No pesticides needed. A large tub or bucket would work just as well.
    Mike

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now that's a good idea!

A good soaking never hurt a JM. :)
    Thanks.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County