Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

JM owners in N. Fla/S. GA (long)

cfmuehling
13 years ago

Hi all!

I have probably 85-90 JMs of all sizes and shapes. Two years ago a tornado took down my only shade, so all of these have remained potted in mostly full sun. I don't need to hear about afternoon shade and ideal conditions; I know all that. Inapplicable and irrelevent, but thank you.

Now, conditions for my zone are one thing, but according to the Nat'l Parks and Planning, I live in an "atmospheric trough."

What that means is my own, tiny zone is more like that of North Florida or S. Georgia, with FULL, UNRELENTING SUN. To top it off, this summer we had 65 days of heat over 95, and where others might have received some rain, I had even less. You can drive right out of the rain into my drive. I swear I am not exaggerating. Too weird to be true, but it is.

To get to the POINT. I want to put some of these hardy JMs into the ground. I'm landscaping and want to have them permenantly in place. All over I read crazy projected height differences. For example, a Maiku Jaku is listed as 12-15', then 40' on another site. (Which, BTW, has lived in FULL SUN for 3 years.) Figuring it's climate and condition related, I'd like to speak with growers or owners in the area similar to mine.

As I mentioned, I have a ton, so I won't list them here. If someone had the time to post and tell me what they have and its projected growth down there, I'd appreciate it. Don't rule out any type. There's a chance I have it and would be interested.

Thank you so much in advance!

A crazy Christine

Comments (7)

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Well it's been 5 days and not a single reply.
    I've gotta ask...
    That's quite a collection and a large investment. Why is it "inapplicable & irrelevant" that you do not have suitable conditions to grow them?

And how did a tornado wipe out the shade but not wipe out the collection?!

Even though full sun in Maryland is not ideal, it is different than full sun and much longer growing season of Florida. You may have had a couple months of high temps in the 90's but don't forget your low temps were probably in the 60's or on rare occasions, low 70's. The Florida, the temps remain very warm at night, in the 80's and upper 70's and it doesn't cool down as quickly as it does farther to the north. Florida also has long droughty periods that put all plants to the test, especially those that are not well adapted to that climate in the first place. The midatlantic is a muggy place but it pales in comparison to peninsular florida. Coupled with the aforementioned stresses/ cultivation challenges, the conditions are ripe for diseases.

So I think that's the reason you haven't received replies.
    That said, I do think you can grow what you've got if you erect a shade house with good circulation. If not, expect leaf scorch.

• ishboz
    13 years ago

I live in the Gainesville, FL area and while I can't really speak for how big these guys will ultimately get I can comment on the ones that have handled sun from 7am-3pm or more in some cases. Good watering really makes a crucial difference in this heat. Here are some that have been good for me through one of the hottest summers in recent memory in North Florida and ranked from most sun to less:
    Acer palmatum E.P.
    Acer palmatum Summer Gold
    Acer palmatum Seiryu
    Acer palmatum Glowing Embers
    Acer shirasawanum Jordan
    Acer palmatum Emperor 1
    Acer palmatum Heffner's Red Select
    Acer palmatum Red Dragon
    Acer palmatum Fireglow
    Acer palmatum Shishigashira
    Acer palmatum Kamagata
    Acer palmatum Everred
    Acer palmatum Sango kaku
    Acer palmatum Tana
    Acer palmatum Osakazuki
    Acer palmatum Tamukeyama
    Acer palmatum Orangeola
    Acer palmatum Lionheart

There are more that get quite a bit of sun but these are the ones that have really impressed me. I am very very impressed with the Acer palmatum E.P. I really can't believe what a tough maple it is. Again I have no idea of the ultimate size and I know you want that info, but hopefully this will be of some help.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

It never fails...
    A topic can be sitting there for days or weeks, growing mold.
    But once I reply to it, then the replies come in.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well.
    "Irrelevent and inapplicable" is to my question. I know what JMs should have so I don't need the instruction. However, the sun exposure is that it is here and will remain so until some of these trees mature enough to provide shade for themselves.

Tornado: I didn't say I didn't lose JMs. The 1st tornado in 2008 took out 2 of my huge, shade maples and a 6o' pine broke in half landing on my pot bed, destroying 30(?) or so of my babies. This spring I had another tornade which took out two more shade-providing maples, but I only lost a sweet "J.J. Firered" and "Japanese Sunset" to the tree tops landing on them. I've also found hellebore, heuchera and many, many hosta are sun tolerant despite dire warnings to the contrary.

Due to other circumstances and long story, building a shade structure is not possible. I'd love a sun sail, but again, not in the remotely near future.

Ishboz, you've caught the gist of my question. Size would be nice, but daytime exposure is perfect. I have everything you've listed except "Jordan" and "E.P." I can add a ton more that would probably thrive in your area's sun, including:
    Atrolineare
    Maiku Jaku
    Octopus
    Boskoop Glory
    Berrima Bridge
    Nicholonii
    Chantilly Lace
    Japanese Sunrise
    Seriyu
    Otaki
    Kinran
    Butterfly (yup.)
    Trompenburg
    Baldsmith
    I'll stop now. :)

This is a help. I've been searching for nurseries in the area where they say the varieties offered will tolerate full sun. If they can take it down there, they can take it here. Particularly if the nightime temps are such a variable.

I'll keep looking. If you get it in your noggin to note any others you have in full sun, I'm interested.

Thank you!

• ishboz
    13 years ago

Great list of maples! I plan to add several of those cultivars in the spring, Boskoop Glory and Japanese Sunrise for sure. A restaurant nearby has several japanese maples that are over 15' tall and get lots of sun. They aren't tagged and nobody knows the cultivar but it looks like Glowing Embers to me, but I am not an expert by any means. Jacksonville zoo has a Japanese garden and their maples on display included Shirazz and Shaina. Just some more info on cultivars in the heat down here :)

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

It sounds like you've got more of a tornado problem than a sun problem!

If you set up irrigation and can live with less than perfect foliage, I think you're in business. Until the next tornado that is. Then all bets are off.

After the 2nd tornado, I would have high tailed it outta there. You're brave.

Good luck. Batten down the hatches.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't mention the 1st year I started collecting, my dogs ran thru my little bed and snapped them all off.

The 2nd year, rabbits bit off every darned one of them right at the graft.

I have had the same luck with compost piles. A farmer plowed one, my DH put a car on the next, blah blah.

I grew up in the midwest. What's a tornado or two?

Ishboz, I'll look up the Jacksonville zoo to see if they talk about their gardens. Often, when emailed, the arborist or head honcho is very happy to talk about their pride and joy.

I appreciate it!
    Good luck with yours and thanks for your list. :)
    Christine

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County