Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

Short, weeping Japanese Maple

cweathersby
17 years ago

Hey everybody.

I usually hang out at the rose forums, but I need some recomendations for Japanese Maples that will stay short and grow outward instead of upward.

Fall color isn't important, for whatever reason we don't get lots of fall color here and the 2 I already have usually drop their leaves before they've got a chance to change.

I would like spring color though, and summer if it is possible. Dissectum or not, it doesn't matter to me.

I am going to be buying at least 3 different japanese maples to put around a pond that I built last year. I am hoping to find some that never reach 6 feet, because then they would "dwarf" my pond. Also, I am probably going to put them in humongous pots, but since it is the short varieties that I am looking for, the pot shouldn't matter.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I've tried looking up Japanes maples on different web sites to get an idea of how tall they get, but the heights vary SO MUCH from source to source that I would rather just hear from you guys about your experiences with short ones.

Carrie

Comments (6)

• myersphcf
    17 years ago

Since I am NOT from your area it is best someone else from there gives you advise on which ones are best in your locale but I would stick with dissectums. Leaves and ponds DON'T mix as I have learned the hard way . And even though most JM leaves are NOT like oak or other troublesome leaves...the dissectums will cause the least trouble and since you said either I would suggest dissectums...remembering that some dissectums take sun better than others and hopefully you have west and south shade to some degree reguardless of which type of tree you choose but if spring leaves are the real goal here that might not be as important...David

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Unfortunately, my pond is surrounded by huge sweet gums and pine trees. We spend a lot of time scooping them out, even though there is a leaf basket on the pond. I'm not worried about any extra leaves that a japanese maple would drop ...
    Because of all of the trees, the japanese maples would get some morning sun but no sun after noon.

• myersphcf
    17 years ago

YIKES that worse than my ponds which have the pines (autumn needle fall is horrible) with oaks near by that blow in on occasion but not the horrible gums....one of my least fav ...or should I say most hated trees and around ponds with their acidic leaves and gum balls YIKES!!!!!!
    I would still go with dissectums cause of your other upright trees...I think the weeping nature would look best and always looks good around ponds and many ...I might say most.... dissectums will stay within your parameters although MANY , NOT ALL, will spread out and be as wide as tall in many cases ... over many years of course...( which shouldn't matter since you've got them potted and can somewhat move 'em if necessary) I think the idea of asking the local nurseries is a good one but i have a feeling many will work there especially if your potting them anyway. I would expect crimson queens tamukeyama and virdris amoung many others should work there but as I said local experts are your best bet or someone here from your area ...David

• picea
    17 years ago

Check out Filigree, Acer Japonicum Green Cascade, Murasaki Kiyo Hime and Mikawa Yatsubusa which is a dwarf but not horizontal growing. David

• pacificcoastmaples
    17 years ago

Kamagata is outstanding and is a dwarf reaching 5-6 feet in 10 years. Shin deshojo is stunning in the spring to 8 feet. Tamukeyama gets 8-9 feet but has tremendous color and is great in near full sun. At our nursery those three are some of the best we ship.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Coast Maples

• futfurd
    16 years ago

A red dissectum named Octopus. stays short and grows way outward. Hence the name

Sponsored