Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ichoudhury

ID Japanese Maple in Portland Japanese Garden

ichoudhury
12 years ago

Can one of you Maple expert tell me what kind of Japanese Maple this one is? I thought it was Virdis, but I think I'm wrong. This is not Orengola either.

Comments (19)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

No can see.

• ichoudhury
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My apology ...:(

Photo is taken by the following flickr photographer and I saw the photograph from the above article. Here's link to the photographer's set that has a lot more of this Japanese Maple:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheryl_hill/sets/72157594338313227/

• ichoudhury
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This probably is a Acer palmatum "Ornatum". I will confirm it once I am certain.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

There are a great many different lace-leaf maple cultivars. You will need more than this picture to tell which one this specimen might represent. I would consult all possible references, such as books on maples and on Japanese maples, that contain separate descriptions of multiple cultivars and study the relevant details of the plant in question, including leaf structure and summer color.

• ichoudhury
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

I did contact the Curator of the Japanese Maple Garden in Portland Sadafumi Uchiyama who did not have the specific information but gave me some leads to try (I will keep my investigation open and update when I have some fruitful results).

Regards ...

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

One thing that could be highly illustrative would be to compare the one being wondered about with other live specimens in nearby displays where there is labeling, such as nursery yards. If it is a comparatively common selection still being produced and sold you may encounter this one in such a place. You will need a representative live twig with fully developed leaves to hold up against similar examples seen elsewhere, to compare with closely.

Japanese maples are currently a big deal on the North American market, with quantities of them being produced by operations right there in the Willamette Valley.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

In addition to bboy's very good advice - leaf size, shape and detail is rather critical to correct cultivar ID - it is important to recognize that individual fall coloring can be influenced by a wide range of factors even between selections of the same cultivar. Exposure to sunlight, soil conditions, amount of watering and weather conditions will have influence on how intense fall color develops. I've seen selections of common green laceleafs (i.e. 'Viridis') show both a bright tangerine orange fall tone much like your photo as well as a rather washed out yellow during the same season, depending on where and how they were grown.

• User
    12 years ago

Ichoudhury, thank you for that link to the Portland Japanese Garden album of Just Peachy ....I put the HTML code here to see if it will work in GW:

Here is a link that might be useful: Slide show of the album on Flickr

• ichoudhury
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ornatum is a very old variety and over time from what I learned that the true Ornatum faded away (Extremely rare) ... There are Ornatum out there, but not the same one. What puzzled me was that nobody reached out to the Portland Japanese Maple garden and collect some scion wood from that tree and graft? Ah, maybe they are not those common best sellers .. sigh!

Anyway, I happen to do business with a seller on Ebay - bonzaibob (Cedric Murray) time to time. He told me pretty much the same thing as it was very hard to determine by looking at the picture, but his guess was Ornatum as well. He had a nice one that may or may not be the same variety, but I decided to get anyway. Actually its nowhere near the size where I would like to show it off, but I have to share with this thread :)) ...

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Here's my 'Viridis'.
    Needs some pruning. So does the maple behind it. :-)
    Mike

• ichoudhury
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So Interesting, I took a picture of the same Japanese Maple above (I looked at the date, it was the same day last year 11/13/2013 and around 8:30PM ... talk about scary coincidence) ...

She is still growing nicely ... Just growing very slowly ... I am planning her to move to another area this Spring.

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    9 years ago

That's the famous one, right? The one everyone photographs from underneath? There are thousands of photos of it online...I googled "Portland Japanese Garden Tree" and it was there instantly.

http://www.travelphotoadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Famous-Japanese-Garden-Tree-in-Portland-by-Michael-Matti.jpg

I'm surprised they don't have a better idea of the variety, but perhaps it's just old. I wonder how many people have propagated it?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Nope. That's a different tree. Beautiful though, and much larger.
    Mike

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    9 years ago

Are you sure? Because the branch structure and the surrounding bushes (boxwood?) look to be the same. Also, in this photo of the same dissectum, you can see the tree's position in relation to the water. It looks to be the same as the shot posted above.

Kneeling down on the path and taking a shot up into the branches would make the tree look a lot larger. If you look at the size of the leaves in comparison to the branches in the shot/link I posted above, it's not actually that big of a tree.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by maplesmagpie on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 17:23

• ichoudhury
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Take a look at this maple in this video. Does it look like Viridis? or Ornatum ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybcjm_FkRDA

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

The famous one turns red in the Fall.
    Your picture looks like the one the Original poster posted.
    Mike

• Ryan M
    2 years ago

Did you ever have any luck identifying this cultivar?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Ornatum is as good a guess as any....and quite likely to be a correct ID. It is not all that tall a tree (~8') and not all that old either, considering how long JM's can live. It was planted in 1968 and was assumed to be around 20 years old at that time. And unlikely also to be a very rare selection, as reports indicate that all the laceleaf cultivars included in the garden were obtained from private residences in Portland. And 70 years ago, there was not near the number of cultivars on the market as there are now!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH