Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tell me about the *other* Asian maples

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 11:28

I've never grown anything among the small Asian maples outside the traditional "Japanese" A. palmatum.

Aside from the thousands of Palmatums out there, can someone tell me about these:

What is the species like for color, growth rate, height, etc, and what cultivars of note are available for them?

-Acer japonicum

-Acer pseudosieboldianum

-Acer ginnala

-Acer truncatum

-Acer tataricum

-Acer truncatum x platanoides (forget if there is an "official" name for this hybrid, often I see it called Norwegian Sunset Maple

Feel free to mention others that are noteworthy.

Finally, how would any of these do in my zone, and in my heavy, silt-loam, acidish (5.9 ph) soil? FWIW, although heavy, the soil does usually drain rather well, and standing water is VERY unusual since I'm on higher ground.

Also, would these do well in a more neutral (7.0) soil environment for my friend in Indiana?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tell me about the *other* Asian maples

Suggest you visit your local library and check out Van Gelderens' Maples for Gardens. This is an excellent resource for the entire genus. Not as detailed as a monograph would be but it certainly addresses all the points you want and discusses the most popular cultivars on the market (with photos).

A much more efficient approach than an extremely lengthy online discussion would provide :-)

o
RE: tell me about the *other* Asian maples

OMG.
I stopped by to see what tree someone might be discussing and my jaw dropped.

It would take 18 thousand pages to list all the varieties, and it still wouldn't really mean anything since height, growth rate, color, exposure, blah blah varies sometimes from neighborhood to neighborhood. Particularly around the edges of zones.

I picked up the book referenced above and loved it. I was pleased to see many of my maples in it. Oh - the thing to realize is that much of the info online is out of Oregon/Washington state, where growing conditions are optimal. Many web sites just copy that info, vs. what would apply in their own area.

I tend to look at nurseries south of GA (Metro maples in Texas, for example) for a hotter, less shaded condition. If someone says, "Sun/part shade" they probably can't speak of an experience with that particular maple. Because pretty much every single JM would be thrilled to be in that exposure. That's not life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here