Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Height and Width for Acer P 'Red Pygmy'

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 2, 09 at 13:40

Vertrees says Red Pygmy will be 6 feet in height and width in 20 years. That seems really small for an upright Acer P. And also very slow growing. Anyone have this tree in their garden? What is your experience with the growth rate and ultimate height and width?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Height and Width for Acer P 'Red Pygmy'

LOL!! They come a lot smaller than that! I'd be surprised to see 'Sharp's Pygmy', 'Hupp's Dwarf' or 'Yuri Hime' hit much beyond 3-4' and 'Mikawa Yatsubusa' very much more than that. And there's quite a few other cultivars in the same height range. Many of these true dwarfs (Group 6 in JM classification) are used widely for bonsai.

'Red Pygmy' is actually considered a semi-dwarf in the Group 5 classification, Linearlobums, and could get as large as 10-13' with a spread of about half that. Growth rate is slow to moderate.

Ultimate size of any cultivar of Japanese maple is always a matter of some discussion - check 3 different sources and you'll get three different answers :-) It may be best to plan for the largest size you find listed but expect the smaller.

o
RE: Height and Width for Acer P 'Red Pygmy'

The garden center I bought my maple from had a few 6 feet tall Red Pygmy that are about that wide as well. They certainly don't look like 20 year old trees. I wonder if they are some other linearlobums masquerading as 'Red Pygmy'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here