Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bogart_gw

Bloodgood's yearly shrivel

Bogart
15 years ago

Hello-

Please forgive me if this query has already been asked and answered on this forum - I can't seem to see something quite like it...

I have a Bloodgood Japanese Maple that on first glance appears quite happy in its home. I rescued it from a disgruntled neighbour about six years ago - it was too small for his liking (about two feet high) and he wanted to replace it with something more striking.

So it's been sitting in my back yard since then, and growing about a foot a year, sending out nice new leaves every spring etc etc. Come late June - early July, however, the leaves start to curl up and turn brownish. They don't get completely crispy, don't fall off, and it doesn't appear to have affected the tree's overall health.

I tried spraying with soapy water this year, thinking spider mites or some other such pest, but still the annual shrivel. We've had record drought and record rainfall in the fast few years so moisture levels don't seem to be affecting it. It gets afternoon part shade, but I thought Bloodgoods could take some direct sunlight anyway? At least, other specimens I've seen do.

Any other suggestions?

Comments (5)