Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

Are Norway maple leaves allelopathic or could I (selectively) use

weedlady
12 years ago

We have 2 mature red Norway maples (likely 'Crimson King')in front of our house. We moved here 3 years ago and love the house & yard except for the choice of trees the original owner planted: 4 black walnuts, several ash (whose days are numbered due to the EAB), 4-5 silver maples and three locust (thankfully, neither the thorny kind nor those with pods!!) and a mulberry. I have removed all of the damn Amur honeysuckle and finally, this year, persuaded the neighbor behind us to remove those in his yard that bordered my rear flower beds and donated a gazillion seedlings from the countless berries each year. Yay! We have but 3 decent (IMO) trees: a wild cherry and 2 burr oaks.

ANYway... the Norway maples now have begun dropping their big old leaves like mad (the silvers mostly are done) and I'd love to mow over and collect those as I did the others (except for the walnuts!) and use them as mulch in the flower beds. Since the roots are allelopathic, I am guessing I should expect the leaves to be as well, as I always have heard walnut leaves are, but sure hate to just chop them into the grass as I love to use chopped leaves as mulch. The maples do not seem to affect either the grass (in spite of the shade) nor the (also detestable) English ivy that is planted in a large oval surrounding the maples. Likely the only plant that would grow there; the two deserve each other. All I do is give the ivy a high mowing once a year and keep the vines cut down off the tree trunks.

So--bottom line: can anyone advise regarding the use (or not!) of chopped Norway maple leaves?

Comments (5)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The lack of adverse effect on the ivy etc. suggests they are not.

• weedlady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not necessarily so. A number of plants are unaffected by juglone, while others (tomatoes are a well-documented example) exhibit markedly inhibited growth, even at a distance from the drip line.

I should think the same would be true of the Norway maple --and English ivy is a notoriously vigorous, hardy plant, which is one reason it is such a problematic invasive pest in many areas of the U.S.

Thanks for your input, though, bboy. CK

• botann
    12 years ago

Weedlady, "I should think the same would be true of the Norway Maple" is stretching it. Completely not true.

Norway Maple leaves, properly installed as a mulch, will not inhibit trees and shrubs already growing there. The idea that they are allelopathic comes from the fact that little grows under a Norway Maple tree. It's the voracious roots and strong canopy that limits growth under the tree, not chemicals it produces.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use those leaves as a mulch. I have, numerous times, with no ill affects.
    Mike

• IpmMan
    12 years ago

I don't think they are. But here is an interesting study on what to do with your fall leaves. They can actually reduce Dandelions in your lawn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Killing dandilions.

• weedlady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The way I understand the article, the benefit of adding the chopped leaves to the lawn is primarily that of a fertilizer, making the grass grow more thickly (which I definitely have seen to be true) which then reduces the chance of any type of weed seeds germinating. In one area in the backyard of our previous home, I routinely would rake all the leaves (a mix of sugar and red maple and several oak species) into a windrow and then take the mower over them several times to chop them for the compost pile or mulch. The finest bits were cornflake-sized and were left behind to decay in the grass when I raked the larger bits into the compost. After a couple years of this, that patch of grass was noticeably thicker and greener than the surrounding area.

I do not think that the article is saying that a phytotoxin in maple leaves is preventing the dandelions from growing. A healthy lawn, properly maintained, minimizes weed growth in general. The article also pointed out that in a previous study, it had not been determined whether or not there may have been herbicide residue present that could have skewed the results.
    The article states:
    "The high application rate, regardless of tree genus or species, resulted in the highest green-up ratings. Common dandelion plant counts after one (2003) and two (2003 and 2004) mulch applications at the high rate showed that up to 80% and 53% reduction was achieved, respectively. Results indicate that mulching leaves regardless of genus (oak or maple) or maple species into established turfgrass as a leaf litter disposal method will increase spring green-up and contribute to a reduction in common dandelion population." [Emphasis mine.]