Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trunk protection?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 17:26

I recently planted a JM whose trunk/stem I want to protect over this winter season (from rabbits, mice and cold winds). I have some thicker craft paper which I was thinking of wrapping around the stem from base to about a foot up.

First is that type of covering a help or a hindrance to the tree. And secondly what would one use to secure the wrap at the top (and bottom)...weatherproof tape of some sort (the ubiquitous duct tape)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trunk protection?

Cold winds should not be as big of an issue. How high up you go depends on your snow cover and your chance of sun scald and/or splitting from trunks thawing/freezing too fast (young trees in full sun). The only protection I give mine is a 24 inch high circle of 2 x 3 inch vinyl coated mesh. But, mine are not in full sun.

tj

o

I hope I'm reading "kidding" about the duct tape!

I would actually spend the few dollars involved and get some of those plastic, perforated winding strips that go around the tree trunks. They let a tree breathe, you don't have to tape them in place, and if you lose your mind and forget about them for 10 years, they just expand with the tree growth.

If you insist on the craft paper, I'd get that green, stretchy tape that one uses to stake up tomatoes or upright trees.

I don't think a winter will hurt it, but if it's very wet, the moisture against the trunk could dry, wet, dry, and maybe hold in too much moisture? Would it freeze and refreeze from the wet paper?

o

Thanks for the replies. On second thought, the use of a soft material next to the stem eg burlap or craft paper/cardboard would hold moisture which can't be good next to the trunk. So I will use this product shown below as I am most concerned with potential damage from animals.

Here is a link that might be useful: trunk protector

o

That's very similar to what I was thinking, and to what comes on many trees from the nursery.

Sounds like a plan to me!

o

I noticed I have a bale of straw. Would this spread around the perimeter of the base of this tree serve as good mulch...acting as additional protection from the winter weather for this JM?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 9:55

o

I use straw and hay in my raised beds, under mulch, because it decomposes quickly into good soil.

Given the fact straw is food for animals that might also chomp on what to them are sticks with bark? Although I can't say that would happen, I can say I wouldn't do it.

Wait until you throw down some grass seed and put it on that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here