Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
identifying this type of maple please help.

Posted by illinigirl 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 17:31

Hi,
I love these maples that are found in many neighborhoods near me. The home owner says it is a 'burning maple' but I can't find anything of that name on google. The local nursery looked at my photo and says it is a sunset maple. I would like to be 100% sure before I purchase any maples next spring for my new yard.

here it is as of a couple days ago. when it first started to turn color it was a very deep almost burgundy red, then slowly lightened/brightened to this color.

[img] photo 1101131342.jpg[/img]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: identifying this type of maple please help.

My guess is a red maple (acer rubrum) cultivar, or one of the hybrids between red maple and silver maple (acer rubrum x a. saccharinum, known as acer freemanii). There are any number of cultivars of these categories that can give you similar fall colouration.

o

^Exactly what I was thinking...Autumn Blaze.

o

thanks,
I was able to photograph the leaves up close and posted them over on the 'tree' board and they confirmed it is an autumn blaze,
thanks!

o

There is a red maple cultivar called Pacific Sunset. Used in subdivision plantings here where I live. It looks like that is what your neighbor has.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 21:44

That is a selling name for one of the Keith Warren hybrids between Norway and Shantung maples - there is no involvement of Acer rubrum.

Leaves of the tree asked about here need to be seen before sure identification - of the species or hybrid it represents - becomes possible. Naming it down to the cultivar level is another matter, not necessarily easily accomplished under these circumstances.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here