Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer palmatum for zone 5

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (NW) (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 18:29

Always interesting to see info on trials in zone 5.

My issue is that these darn things get zapped by early and late season frosts/freezes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer palmatum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer palmatum for zone 5

If one is going for that look and cold hardiness is a concern, acer pseudosieboldianum should be considered as a substitute. Of course this species is pretty lacking in cultivars comparatively.

We have the opposite problem down here. Too hot and dry for many of them unless sun and moisture requirements can be properly manipulated and that is certainly no easy task!

John

o

In this neck of the woods, Bloodgood, Emperor I, Sharps Pygmy, and Crimson Queen do quite well in sustained below freezing weather and a -18F low in 7 of the last 11 years.
The A. palmatum that suffer around here do so because of summer drought. The seasonal temperature delay due to Lake Ontario at our doorstep means we never have spring freeze damage but we almost always get a hard freeze not long after the leaves turn color, rendering them brown and crispy.

o

I agree Korean maple is a good choice in colder zones, however if you are in zone 5A you should be able to grow others. This should include Acer palmatum species and Acer japonicum selections may be a good choice as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green leaf Japanese maples

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here